Differences between E and S

There must be a thread hare that lists ALL the differences between the two but I can't find it.

I've got a S model and just picked up an E for parts. I'd like to keep the best of everything and sell the rest.

Any help would be appreciated.

What year of S model? If it 2001 or older keep the E forks, if 2002 or newer the forks are the same. Cams, exhaust, and carb are the main differences. Keep the tank if you want a plastic one. You might want to keep the wheels and have a set for the dirt and a set for the street. It only takes about a half an hour to swap them out plus you get to change the gearing at the same time.

I know about the major ones, but would like to know about all of them right down to every last detail. Just found out about the decomp port on the E head and stiffer springs in the S but I'm sure there are more. I also read that the wheelbase is longer on the S model but don't know if it's true or not.

Not really looking to start a new thread, but I just figured someone had them all listed somewhere. I was surprised it's not a sticky!

I got an 05 S and a 03 E

Edited by Colpitts

You already now the major stuff. E gas tank is plastic and mounted differently. Wheel base is the same. S has all the street legal stuff lights etc. Radiators flow different E parallel, S series and has the fan. S neutral light and instruments., E no neutral switch. Stators the same, final gearing different S 15/44, E 14/47. E no chain guard, S has steering lock. S frame has a few more mounting tabs. E exhaust bigger & solid mounts, S rubber mount, S had rider paegs. S longer sub frame to support the tail light and mounting tabs for rider pegs and helmut lock. Wiring harness obviously different, S 20 amp fuse, E 10 amp fuse. S has handlebar switch controls. S has front and rear brake light switches, Rear brake pedal is slightly different to operate the brake light switch. CDI box is different, E has 500 rpm higher rev limit, S has side-stand interlocks, E does not. CDI's will interchange with a small mod the the wires. S front master brake cylinder is bigger. Front brake rotor is thicker. I think if you just look at the 2 bikes you will recognize the differences and consult on line parts diagrams. It's all there.

• Like 1

The unreal E has an S spec engine

i saw a fairly new (unused) E with a 3 layer base gasket the other day... but with pumper carb and plastic tank, etc

the base gasket made me wonder if this is what you're refering to, besides cams, and manual decomp head ?

Edited by ohgood

i saw a fairly new (unused) E with a 3 layer base gasket the other day... but with pumper carb and plastic tank, etc

the base gasket made me wonder if this is what you're refering to, besides cams, and manual decomp head ?

Possible that they just dropped in the gasket from a kit after replacing the cylinder? Most/some kits come with a 3-layer gasket that you have to manually split.

E has an alloy oil return pipe whereas I think the S/SM has steel.

Only the earlier E's have parrallel radiators, Suzuki then standised them I think.

S has a wet battery, E has a GEL battery (posssibly more CCA's as well).

E has the mechanism for manual decop, Kicker has a manual decomp & lever.

S has handle bar weights & morrirs, E has niether nor the mounts for mirrors.

That's all I think of extra for now...

Edited by DrzDick

E has an alloy oil return pipe whereas I think the S/SM has steel.-----True

Only the earlier E's have parrallel radiators, Suzuki then standised them I think.------Suzuki did make some changes but I'm not clear on what it was or when they did it.

S has a wet battery, E has a GEL battery (posssibly more CCA's as well) --- Not in the US. E/S/SM have always used the same battery. AGM not gel. 7 amp hr, 85 CCA. (some brands now advertise 120 CCA for the same battery)

E has the mechanism for manual decop, Kicker has a manual decomp & lever.---- E head is machined for the manual compression release but has none of the mechanism. The E head has a blanking plug in the hole.

S has handle bar weights & mirrors, E has niether nor the mounts for mirrors.----true

Did we cover the fuel petcock? In the US all E have a manual fuel petcock ON, RES, OFF. All S have a vacuum controlled fuel petcock. ON, RES, PRI. Motor not running fuel is shut off with the petcock set to ON or RES.

Possible that they just dropped in the gasket from a kit after replacing the cylinder? Most/some kits come with a 3-layer gasket that you have to manually split.

It was very new. Unless it had a catastrophic failure very early, I don't see a reason to.

mmm, it had the manual decomp head which diagreed with my first thought: it was an S/SM engine swapped in...

im familiar with the s/sm/e differences. what im looking for is an explanaition ofwhy an E had three layers in the base gasket. did someone slip on the assembly line maybe ?

It was very new. Unless it had a catastrophic failure very early, I don't see a reason to.

mmm, it had the manual decomp head which diagreed with my first thought: it was an S/SM engine swapped in...

im familiar with the s/sm/e differences. what im looking for is an explanaition ofwhy an E had three layers in the base gasket. did someone slip on the assembly line maybe ?

Was the engine unmolested ? It is common practice to use the three layer base in a stroker build to lower the compression rate and avoid blowing head gaskets

Edited by Mad Dogg W