Sign in to follow this  

04 KX250F common problems?

I just got an 04 KX250F for a really good price.it was estimated by my local mechanics,( by the wear on the cases), to have 25-35 hours on it. I have already swapped out the water pump for a pro-circuit pump and someone told me that that would help the valves too.

If you had an 04, what were the common problems with yours?

Please, only people who had one, i don't always trust what the internet reviews said about them.

so your asking people on the internet to tell you common problems but you dont trust the people paid to review them on the internet...

Edited by ekulb14

i had an 04 and sold it after half a season. it would run real hot till i put in the boysen water pump upgrade. then i constantly had valve issue's with it. worst of all the bike seemed to fad power wise midway or towards the end of a moto. not to say that was a problem with all of them that year, just the issues i had with mine. suspension and handling was great though

Edited by 04kx250fnj

I bought mine in 2010 with next to no hours on it. she was immaculate .Top end went out recently but I got a long time out it. I do alot of trail riding, a few hare scrambles, and some moto every now and again. Id say im a fast c rider. The bike treated me very well. I had fmx ss valves installed as well as a fresh clutch pack. My valves didnt move one iota. I checked them every 10 hours and they lasted untill my cam binded and the sprocket spun screwing up the head. The 04 head has no oil groove intake side cam journal. And the caps are over torqued from the factory. I had minimal over heating issues except on tight technical trails. The bike is a good trail bike and occasional hare/moto but it is not enough in my oppinion to be competitive with todays 4 stroke motocrossers. Keep up on oil and air filter as well as oil filter. Run engine ice, fluidine rads and keep an eye on the valves. Larger 04 rads are goin for like 200 bucks on ebay right now. When you get into the head I reccomend replaing with a 06 to 08 head to save headaches. Good luck and rip it up.

I bought mine in 2011 and it had barely been ridden. I'm talking like only ridden on roads long enough to wear down the rear tire. I have never had a problem other than the valves needed to be done.

You say its not competitive against todays bikes, but its only 2-4 horsepower less than all but 2 of the 2013 250fs. I know that the dyno charts don't tell everything, but is there that big of a difference? if there is... •_• .... Wow. I had no idea..

It can be. Not impossible. It depends on the rider but 9 years of r and d makes a hell of a difference in alot of aspects. But dont let that stop ya man. Git r done. I love mine and wouldnt get rid of it for anything.

i like it a lot because its 25 pounds lighter than the latest bikes, and, in my opinion, corners better than most others. I haven't ridden the 2010-2013 bikes though.

What'd be a good mod for a little more top end? I would like some more top end, and i don't know a whole lot about which pipe, or mod, is better for top end....

Id get a big bore kit. I have the 270 cylinder works kit. Maby some hot cams. St. 1 intake st. 2 ex. And maby a yoshi or pc system.

BBK's generally are not top end friendly. A good exhaust is the first step. A superflow kit to help it breath. Then cams. This all assumes proper jetting of course.

i own 2 of these bikes (rmz250 kx250f). If you run them the way thy come from the factory, they are headaches. Best mods

-Pro Circut water pump (not draining coolant for an oil change is also a bonus)

-Kibblewhite valve setup

-richer jetting

-stiffer suspension (add more oil, less air space)

-05 radiator

-clutch upgrade

I willopost pics if i get time, but the "T' shaped piece for the cooling system can be dremmeled out to get better flow. Where the 2 pipes meet, there is about 5mm of material blocking coolant flow

Thanks, this has been the best advice so far.

Have you had any reliability issues? A lot of people say they won't start and have bogging issues. Mine starts 1-2 kicks cold everytime and has had no bogging issues, but have yours?

I have:

Pro circuit pump.

Barnett clutch.

Tuned suspension to my weight.

So i'm pretty close to having a sweet setup. Thanks again.

And, yes! I'd love to see some pics.

Oh, and i re-did jetting yesterday.