05 Crf 450 issue (please help)

So, before I begin, forgive my ignorance, as I am somewhat new to the sport. I found an 05 450R on Craigslist for 800 dollars and decided that It would be a nice project to start with my old man.

The bike is totally solid with no leaks and good compression, but did not start. ( but for 800 bucks, I couldn't resist.).

After cleaning the carb from head to toe, it still would not kick start, however, roll starting works fine and the motor is very powerful and sounds great....but when I stop, it won't idle and the choke will not stay pulled out. (Keeps popping back in on its own.).

When I try to kick start, I get the occasional pop, but no bang... Any tips for adjusting the mixture or do you think the valves need to be re-shimmed?

Thanks guys! -Matthew

Yes, if you have it screwed all the way in that could be your problem, you should back it out the "standard" amount listed in your Owner's Manual and start from there. It is a fuel screw, not an air screw like in a 2-stroke, so turning it out, counter-clockwise, adds fuel = richer, opposite of a 2-stroke which adds air = leaner.

Well, I have turned the fuel screw out to 1 and 1/2 (didn't help) and then out to 2 1/2 then past 3. I still have to be on the gas to start it. So I'm guessing I need a new (larger) pilot jet. But what do you guys think in terms of size? I read that the factory set jetting is 42, so maybe get a 45?

Well, I have turned the fuel screw out to 1 and 1/2 (didn't help) and then out to 2 1/2 then past 3. I still have to be on the gas to start it. So I'm guessing I need a new (larger) pilot jet. But what do you guys think in terms of size? I read that the factory set jetting is 42, so maybe get a 45?

Don't assume it has stock jets. Verify. And make sure pilot is not clogged. If the choke is not staying out on it's own there is a problem with it, unscrew it from carb and clean, inspect it.

Guys, I really appreciate your help, I will give the hot start more play (as it is pretty tight and does not snap back), inspect the choke and pilot jet internals. I will be back with an update this evening. I'm guessing the jet size will be inscribed on the jet itself?