No bottom end on my DRZ, please help!

So the bottom of every gear has no balls what so ever,Breaks up and it's almost like the first half of the throttle doesn't exist, but once I open the throttle up and really get on it the bike is all there, fast as hell and idles fine too. I had a hole in my air filter so I thought I was maybe leaning my plug out and that it was maybe getting too much air. I pulled the plug and it wasn't lean at all. Put a new air filter in, oiled it and put a new plug in as well. No change.. I took the filter off while the bike was running and sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner in the air box towards the carb trying to brake something up in the carb. After that rode it about a mile and it was back to normal almost. Went and ate lunch came back to the bike and back to breaking up.. Should I just quit being lazy and take the carb off and give it a good cleaning? Or does it sound like another issue? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1364776087.883207.jpg

We need more details to give a more accurate assessment .....like .... service history, miles on engine, any mods, type of carb,.does it start easy.?.etc

My initial thought is you would have sucked crap in thru the holed air filter,,,if it's been like it for a while you have indeed ingested dirt into the carb and possibly caused premature wear to the piston and bore...

Edited by Craigo 485sm

We need more details to give a more accurate assessment .....like .... service history, miles on engine, any mods, type of carb,.does it start easy.?.etc

My initial thought is you would have sucked crap in thru the holed air filter,,,if it's been like it for a while you have indeed ingested dirt into the carb and possibly caused premature wear to the piston and bore...

Well the bike has 15,000 miles on it, it's stock as far as the motor and carb go. Bought it a month ago it ran fine when I bought it sat for two weeks and started doing all this. The bike seems to start up pretty easy, and it has a makuni carb on it. And I doubt any wear happened to the pistons and or bore, it's never been ridden off road.... Yet.

Well the bike has 15,000 miles on it, it's stock as far as the motor and carb go. Bought it a month ago it ran fine when I bought it sat for two weeks and started doing all this. The bike seems to start up pretty easy, and it has a makuni carb on it. And I doubt any wear happened to the pistons and or bore, it's never been ridden off road.... Yet.

It depends on how long that air filter has been holed as to the amount of premature wear it has possibly caused....Dirt still exists in the on road environment...

Carb inspection would be a good place to start for your trouble shooting

It depends on how long that air filter has been holed as to the amount of premature wear it has possibly caused....Dirt still exists in the on road environment...

Carb inspection would be a good place to start for your trouble shooting

So I took the carb off and cleaned the &%$#@! out of it, it was in fact real dirty! So I hooked the carb back up, no manifold leaks, everything is in there properly and it's even worse now. Only starts and stays running on choke, give it gas it hesitates and back fires.. But I did notice this... On the bottom side of the carb there is some threads that looks like something is missing, like they are very clean. Any idea what goes in there? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1365126157.614162.jpg

your mixture screw fell ouit (just like mine did)

buy the extended screw so you can adjust on the ride, and it will run perfectly again.

congrats on finding the problem.

edit !

sorry, that's my mistake. i looked at the pic on my phone, and recognized it incorrectly. your brass plug is still in place, so i'm incorrect.

Edited by ohgood

buy the extended screw so you can adjust on the ride, and it will run perfectly again.

Yup, what he said.... ?

Also, Im' not sure if you noticed but you seem to have a dagger speared through your left thumb..... :jawdrop:

Edited by Mad Dogg W

edit !

sorry, that's my mistake. i looked at the pic on my phone, and recognized it incorrectly. your brass plug is still in place, so i'm incorrect.

Dang I thought we were onto something here, now I'm just screwed!! Haha! Thanks anyways. Any other ideas?

My carb has nothing in that threaded hole I assume it's not used on our models maybe it's for cali emissions or some other country's lawsuniversal carb (I don't know). How is it possible for the mixture screw to fall out if it still has the plug...

I guess I'm back to the drawing board poop!!

Retard alert, the problem the whole time was that the vacuum line from the Petcock to the carb was off the WHOLE TIME I'VE HAD THE BIKE (3 weeks) but when I took the carb off to clean it that line wasn't on there do I didn't know to put it back on. Anyways it's running like a champ. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1366107197.531555.jpg

• Like 1

Retard alert, the problem the whole time was that the vacuum line from the Petcock to the carb was off the WHOLE TIME I'VE HAD THE BIKE (3 weeks) but when I took the carb off to clean it that line wasn't on there do I didn't know to put it back on. Anyways it's running like a champ. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1366107197.531555.jpg

Dang...don't you just hate that vacuum line..... :bonk:

You not the 1st and your won't be the last that has fallen victim to the pain and embarrassment caused by the dreaded vacuum line... :foul: