06 CRF450x Bog

Gents I hope you can help me out, I have always owned 2 strokes and made the switch to a 06 450x. The bike has a serious Bog in every gear when I grab a hand full of throttle. But if i roll it on it is ok. Also when it is idling if you wack the throttle it will stall. The bike has been jetted and the air box has been modded. Is it the acceleration pump? Should i run a few tanks of gas through it and see if clears up? I want to have some idea before I start tearing her apart.

Edited by Ranger175

Do exactly what Krannie said. He knows how to heal the X. I did the same stuff (along with a bunch of other ad ons) to my "new to me" 06 X and it rips. I just rode it 1400+ miles from Tecate to Cabo in February and had zero problems with the bike.

Edited by kjlectric

Do exactly what Krannie said. He knows how to heal the X. I did the same stuff (along with a bunch of other ad ons) to my "new to me" 06 X and it rips. I just rode it 1400+ miles from Tecate to Cabo in February and had zero problems with the bike.

Pffft. That guy is all talk. I'll bet he doesn't even ride, with all those posts....

Edited by Krannie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have everything installed in the carb finally. I am trying to get the AP timing down, I have the screw backed all the way out counterclockwise and the stream still isn't hitting the slide. What do you guys think I am doing wrong? I did install the merge racing spring. Thanks for any help.

No, it barely goes a inch.

Yeah, you did something wrong.

It should shoot 6-10 feet.

You really need to look at the FCR accelerator pump videos on you tube so you can see what it is supposed to do.

Have you cleaned the nozzle, so it can actually spray?

Try putting WD 40 or brake cleaner spray up that sideways passage below the nozzle, to see if it sprays clear....

Diaphragm in right-side up?

Did you install the merge spring correctly?

Can you see it being captive on both ends of the spring?

It's a real pain to install the first time.

The only easy way is to use put in in place, and put the circlip back, and THEN hook the last part it into place with a dental pick or hook.

Figured out what is wrong, the spring behind the merge racing spring that returns the plunger to the original position is to weak to return it. Do they make a upgraded spring for that one also, or is this just something that happens?

Edited by Ranger175

I got it to return all the way by stretching the spring on the diaphragm. Now the AP nozzle sprays great but the stream hits where the slide slides into the bottom of the inlet. It is like the nozzle is angled to far down and doesn't make it to the intake. Any recommendations?

Edited by Ranger175

I got it to return all the way by stretching the spring on the diaphragm. Now the AP nozzle sprays great but the stream hits where the slide slides into the bottom of the inlet. It is like the nozzle is angled to far down and doesn't make it to the intake. Any recommendations?

The nozzle is dirty

Clean it by using REAL carb cleaner spray very carefully:

Get the slide up and keep it up.

Remove the float bowl, and under the edge of where the float bowl seats, there is an angled passage up to the nozzle.

Spray carb cleaner in there, and wait 15 min. Do NOT get the cleaner on other parts of the carb, especially the slide seal.

After 15 min, spray brake cleaner or compressed air up there, and then try squiring up something like WD-40, to see how it sprays.

If it still has 'a hair in the tip', repeat the process until it sprays staight.

Then spray everything down with brake cleaner to dilute the carb cleaner.

I have seen nozzles that were so corroded that they needed to be reamed out with a fine piece of wire. I don't recommend it.

I have also seen nozzles that are in crooked. We had to 'twist' it with vice grips. Absolutely not recommended!

Best to dismantle the carb body (also not recommended accept as a last resort)

Watch this:

You can see the goal he is aiming for:

1 sec squirt with quick snap, that goes all the way into the head, that always misses the slide.

He is using an adjustable leak jet from R&D, as part of a complete float bowl upgrade.

Edited by Krannie

• 1 year later...

I'm having this issue as well. a small quick snap will make the bike hiccup, but a large full snap will almost kill the bike.

I've got a 48 pilot, and a 145 main with the air box opened up on the top and sides ,a 70 leak and what I assume is the stock needle on the 3rd position down. Also the CRFs only fuel air screw is 2 turns out. Im lost. I also have the boyessen qs2 and the crfs only accelerator pump kit. 

here is the video i shot after installing everything and still having the problem.

Thanks krannie my dealer didn't have leak jets so I didn't step that down, looks like I'll have to grab that from the web or have them order it. And I'll check into the linkage spring.. As for the boysen that came on the bike i do have the ac pump cover that came with the crf kit so I could switch to that but out of curiosity what do you think is the problem with boysen ?