Score entry fees and last minute rule changes?

Is Score recent entry fee increase and other fees aimed at pushing out the smaller, less financed race teams??

I feel its all about more profit and advertizing hype??? Used to be alot more fun racing Baja!!!

Your views??

Thanks Corky

logoSmall.png

Edited by corky

Is Score recent entry fee increase and other fees aimed at pushing out the smaller, less financed race teams??

I feel its all about more profit and advertizing hype??? Used to be alot more fun racing Baja!!!

Your views??

Thanks Corky

logoSmall.png

Lots of options in BAJA:

http://www.norra.com/

http://www.recordoffroad.com/

http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/

http://www.bajarallymoto.com/

Thanks Exile for the reminder that the thrill of the race, not the Brand of the race is why we ride.

There are really fun races in southern Baja with cheap entry fees ($150.00). No trackers. Just check points and stub cans. Great courses all over southern Baja. Old school Baja desert racing, good participation, Beer and music at the finish.

Here's the website: http://asmacbcs.com/

Nothing will ever replace the Baja 1000, ever. No rally, no Norra, nothing. It is and will forever remain the legendary Baja race. If you know anything about the roots and evolution of off-road racing, you understand why. Nothing else down there will ever even come close. Legends built that brand. The future of that brand is now in Roger Norman's questionably capable hands. I'll always cherish my Baja 1000 finisher pins. No other Baja race will ever achieve that kind of sentimentality... maybe the Los Ancianos Enduro.

Edited by Justin Hambleton

An clear and concise explaination of each penality seems fair. With the technology that is available, if they would just go the extra step of explaining each penalty to all the teams. Pick a medium to do so and be consistent. Perhaps on their website with screenshots of the GPS tracking vs. Course tracking it would go along way towards building their credibility as a racing organization as they under go this change in management and build their trust and working relationship with the racers.

• Like 2

Nothing will ever replace the Baja 1000, ever. No rally, no Norra, nothing.

Hilarious Justin- NORRA was the first "1000", the one that started it all. You of all people should know your history and how the late Mickey Thompson swooped it from the late Ed Pearlman along with help from Mexican politicians. That same kind of transfer can happen again. it's very possible. In my opinion we all think to short minded in the current "me now" time in history.

The authors of the history books are the ones who win the wars. There are some profound underpinnings at play which point to SCORE's vulnerability.

Just Sprayin (as usual)

• Like 1

Great. Does anyone know what IRC track/log equipment is required? Do you rent it? Its not clear on the page SCORE links to...

It is essentially "leased" directly from IRC. You pay a few hundred bucks then get your money back if the unit is safely returned after the race. You break it/lose it, you buy it. They're around $300 to lease, I believe.

Hilarious Justin- NORRA was the first "1000", the one that started it all. You of all people should know your history and how the late Mickey Thompson swooped it from the late Ed Pearlman along with help from Mexican politicians. That same kind of transfer can happen again. it's very possible. In my opinion we all think to short minded in the current "me now" time in history.

The authors of the history books are the ones who win the wars. There are some profound underpinnings at play which point to SCORE's vulnerability.

Just Sprayin (as usual)

The Baja 1000 became what it is under SCORE. Steve McQueen, Parnelli Jones, James Gardner, Patrick Dempsey, Jesse James, Unser brothers, just to name a few notable names that have taken on "the Baja"... No one cares who the governing body is they just want to compete in the "toughest, most legendary off-road race in North America." It took ~50 years to build that brand and it was largely built because of the names mentioned above. They all helped make "the baja 1000" a household name, which is actually dwindling these days. Dust to Glory helped give the Baja 1000 a bump in mainstream awareness but it's been slowly diminishing back to it's esoteric roots. Who knows where it will go under Norman. I wouldn't be surprised to see it limited to TTs, Class 1s and Pro motos only in the future. Norman didn't buy SCORE because he thinks there's a business model in charging entry fees. The money is in sponsorship and tv rights. Trophy trucks are really the only thing SCORE has that offers mass appeal.

Edited by Justin Hambleton

Your views??

Thanks Corky

logoSmall.png

Corky... good to see you posting!

I don't think the cost has gone up too much over the years.

... I mean, normal cost of living is 3% (or used to be) per year. So if it was $1200 4 years ago, then it should be near $1350 now. Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't look to see what it was... or is now, I'm just using that as my analogy/reference. I mean... the "economy" is in trash for most Americans, but people are still paying entry fees.

I don't see it pushing anyone... anywhere.

... Only time will tell. We can assume all day long, or spout opinion... all it does is pass the time, and stir the internet pot.

And I do agree... each year something changes in the sport. I never raced before loggers/trackers, and I can only imagine how it was back then... when teams could cheat and not get caught. I did sideline the races all the time before speed laws on the pavement, and oh boy... that made for some CRAZY racing - but boy was it dangerous (I always made sure to be somewhere safe, where on-road travels were NOT on any part of the course). Things change...

?

Edited by JohnnyAirtime