Sign in to follow this  

03 crf450r won't shift or coast

Just thought I'd follow up on this for anyone in the future. As someone had suggested, the clutch plates were stuck together. After I took it apart and cleaned them all and reassembled, it would shift fine when off. It still wouldn't shift while running so I replaced the outer basket and voila!

This whole thing was a major blessing in disguise. When I took the case cover off, I had noticed that the counter balancer sprocket was broken. I ended up replacing that, all the bearings, impeller shaft and bearings. It's running like a champ now!

• Like 1

Thanx for posting the outcome on this. Some here get the fix for something and never report the outcome. We are all just trying to learn.

if your baskets notched badly take a file and file the notches out taking note of how many passes on each one ,keep the file flat following the exact angle of the bit your a fileing also try and keep the same pressure on the file all the way round, iv did this a few times and it was fine, after its done ride the bike slowly for a day or 2 just to let the plates find ther bed points good luck