Sign in to follow this  

03 crf450r won't shift or coast

I had some engine work done on my bike. It sat for about 8 months while I saved some money and had the work done. I got the bike back and took it for a quick ride and it shifted without any issues. I then immediately took it to a suspension guy to have the shocks rebuilt. It sat for another 4 months without running. When I got it back and finished the project, I took it for another test run. I noticed the bike was very hard to shift into neutral but didnt think much of it...figured it was cause I'd been off the bike in so long. I jumped on and went to shift to second and it wouldn't click. The shift lever moved upwards freely but it wouldn't engage. I stopped the bike to check it out and didnt see anything. I kicked the engine over while it was still in first (with the clutch lever pulled in) and it lunged forwards as if the clutch was still engaged.

Any chance the plates somehow fused together while sitting? Or do I have bigger problems? I checked the throttle adjustment and changed the oil. I'm using Rotella D 15w40 and have been doing so for years. The clutch plates and basket has never been changed.

I have read many posts that point to shifter forks and shaft, but given that the bike was fine before it sat and the new development with the lack of disengaging, I'd think they were related. Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you ride the bike until it was totally warm? I am on the same page as you, I think the clutch plates are stuck together

Yeah, I let it warm up for a while before getting on. Is the fix to install new plates? Or can the be "unstuck?"

2 things you could do. Take the plates out clean and soak in oil before reinstalling. Or put the bike in gear with it off and rock back and forth with the clutch pulled on and try to get it to break free.

3rd thing is go ride the crap out of it for a few minutes. Try a couple clutch drops but I'd probably do the other 2 things, I'd hate to find out you had a tranny problem and compounded the problem lol

Yeah, I have already spent way too much on this thing in the last year. Haha. Ill give the rocking thing a try.

Clutch plates aren't stuck. I took the clutch cover off and inspected them. I was able to move them back and forth with a screw driver. And they moved freely. I did notice the basket was notched pretty bad though. Could that cause inability to shift? I moved the plates so they were not sitting in the notches and I still could shift and the bike still would not coast. Not sure if that makes sense.

A notched clutch basket will have the same effect as worn fiber plates. If your lookin to save some money just take the pressure plate off and remove plates and file down the groves in the basket... Clean out ALL metal shavings and enjoy. Or buy a hinson and be done with it lol.

Will the notched basket cause the bike to not shift? Or is that a seperate issue (shift fork or something like that). I would think it would shift into 2nd with the bike off if it was a clutch problem but it won't.

Basically, it would keep the plates from separating from each other. I would think that you could still shift but it wouldn't be as smooth, much like power shifting.

Basically, it would keep the plates from separating from each other. I would think that you could still shift but it wouldn't be as smooth, much like power shifting.

I took the clutch cover off and moved the plates with a screwdriver so they weren't sitting in the notches. I pulled the clutch lever but it still drug and i still couldn't shift. Either way, I think I need a new basket but I don't think this explains the shifting problem. I'm really not sure what's up with this...may have to take it to an expert. Transmissions problems scare me.

Had another thought...if I remove the clutch, should I be able to shift? If so, I should be able to narrow the problem down by removing the clutch.

While the bike is not running? Yes, but to ride the bike you will either stall out or land immediately on your ass for back flipping your 450 lol :)

Can you shift through the gears while the bike is not running?

No, I cannot shift withthe bike off either. Sorry, should have been more specific. Haha

Oh man I was hoping it would be a sticky clutch. When you got it back from the motor work before it would shift fine?

Yeah, me too. I took for a ride when I picked it up and shifted through the gears fine. I honestly don't know what to think. I can't imagine how the suspension guy could've done anything. He didnt get in the motor or anything. The only thing i could think is if it fell off the stand and jammed the shifter or something. Who knows though. I guess I'll start tearing into it and see where it takes me. I don't really have any experience in transmissions so I'm a little nervous.

If you rock the bike back and fourth you should be able to run the trans through the gears. Just put it on a center stand and get the rear wheel off the ground and run the shifter in one hand and the rear tire in the other.

The basket being all notched up will prevent the clutch plates from floating freely when you pull the clutch lever in. Ive seen the basket so worn that the plates wouldnt release at all. They were wedged together and the only way to get it loose was to take the thing apart. If thats the case, the fiber plates and the basket are junk.

With the engine running, you should be able to shift without the clutch on a R, i do it all the time, but if youre off the throttle and the trans is under a load (decel or accel) it'll be bound up and not shift sometimes, or get stuck. You could also have a bent shift fork too.

Just refer to a manual every step of the way. If it absolutely won't shift at all it kinda only points to the shift drum or forks. Only other easy thing I could think of is if the shifter splines are stripped but I'm sure you checked that already

Thanks guys. Ill probably stash some money and start tearing into it. I've got some favors in the hopper from some mechanic friends so ill prob keep em in reserve in case i get in trouble. Ill likely replace the clutch, basket and whatever else needs it. (Lower bearings while I'm in, forks, drum, etc...). This thing is tuning into a money pit! I've got almost $1200 in it so far and havent even ridden it yet! (except the one time i mentioned above) I don't think this round will be cheap either :(