Engine Noise -.- I know....

I've read too many c/s, primary loctite fixes and mcct, and shim threads to rule everything else out and believe it's one of these.

I'm just getting tired of everybody telling me it's fine.

It had a tick I was worried about at first, so I put a MCCT on it, and I continued riding it and it ran fine for the most part.The ticking continued, but I figured it was just the "Noisy DRZ"

But now I'm just paranoid. during my summer prep oil change I noticed quite a bit of sludgy metallic flaking on the drain plug, the oil was also pretty shimmery. Enough to raise a concern. I know a little here and there is fine, but I'd consider this above average on any scale. I didn't notice anything on the filter itself. To say the least the bike wasn't running so hot when I pulled it out, I did the oil change/filter, spark plug, and air filter, as well as put the acct back on and it's been running a lot better. It feels like it has all it's power, and pulls all the way through the rpm's without any stutter.

As far as I know none of the loctite fixes have never been done; and as far as I know it hasn't been re-shimmed, also running stock timing chain,it has about 11.5k miles on it. I just got the bike last summer and was only able to ride it for a few months.

Anyways here's a few videos uploaded in 1080p on the same phone, all videos are of the engine warm.

-First one is right after I put on the MCCT, I believe I actually backed it out a little after that video. Mainly was to show previous owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU1aP-jQl5E

-Second one is the same day, after I had tightened everything down. You can hear it through the whole video, but specially at :25seconds and REALLY well at :29seconds. And to be honest I can't hear that tapping over the exhaust while riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C20qZZmpGPU

-Third one almost 11 months later, Literally haven't altered the bike in any way shape or form other than putting the MCCT back on, new spark plug, air filter, and did an oil change and rode around the block a few times before pulling in and recording this. It idles higher, yet reads about the same on the tack......ignore the paint >.>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5WO-QsgJrg&feature=youtu.be

I can literally feel it through the bars, seat, and pegs at time. But also I can't tell sometimes if it's just the exhaust. My buddy wanted to ride it around the block and that's when I really really noticed it. If I'm keeping constant throttle it taps pretty good. Sometimes it's quieter than others, but again with the exhaust it's hard to tell. I have noticed under load it makes almost no noise. Nobody around here has this bike so it's kinda hard to get a feel for what another one is really suppose to sound like without watching all these youtube videos clearly recorded with a rock.

Previous owner only had it for a few months, (he had 2) due to financial reasons had to sell one. I am friends with the guy so I trusted him. He rides so I know he took care of it while he had it. Although I really don't know much about the original owner (2 owners) so I'm not 100% sure what all has been done. besides the rs3 slip on and jd kit it's stock. little over 11k on it.

Let me know what you guys think before I tear in to do loctite fixes.It's suppose to rain the next few days so I'd like to do everything while it's crappy out. I wont know for sure until I dig in but I'd like some opinions from other owners before I begin to ease my mind.

Thanks

its strange that this thread has just started cause I have just come back from a great ride. The bike felt like it was running the strongest and best it has ever been. Its a cool night, fresh oil and thought I would take here out for a quick tour and was out for about 45 mins and thought I could hear a noise (unknown from where it was coming from and too hard to explain what it sounded like) I was only 2 mins away from home so i coasted back and pulled in the drive, switched here off and as i did i heard what I can only describe as an over run sound, like when a starter motor doesnt engage correctly.

Now I have done my loctite fixes and as i said the bike was running very well, any ideas what thsi might be and what should I be looking at in the first instance?

I started the bike again and no noises but I am a little bit worried now to even take it for a ride.

I've read too many c/s, primary loctite fixes and mcct, and shim threads to rule everything else out and believe it's one of these.

I'm just getting tired of everybody telling me it's fine.

It had a tick I was worried about at first, so I put a MCCT on it, and I continued riding it and it ran fine for the most part.The ticking continued, but I figured it was just the "Noisy DRZ"

But now I'm just paranoid. during my summer prep oil change I noticed quite a bit of sludgy metallic flaking on the drain plug, the oil was also pretty shimmery. Enough to raise a concern. I know a little here and there is fine, but I'd consider this above average on any scale. I didn't notice anything on the filter itself. To say the least the bike wasn't running so hot when I pulled it out, I did the oil change/filter, spark plug, and air filter, as well as put the acct back on and it's been running a lot better. It feels like it has all it's power, and pulls all the way through the rpm's without any stutter.

As far as I know none of the loctite fixes have never been done; and as far as I know it hasn't been re-shimmed, also running stock timing chain,it has about 11.5k miles on it. I just got the bike last summer and was only able to ride it for a few months.

Anyways here's a few videos uploaded in 1080p on the same phone, all videos are of the engine warm.

-First one is right after I put on the MCCT, I believe I actually backed it out a little after that video. Mainly was to show previous owner.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZU1aP-jQl5E

-Second one is the same day, after I had tightened everything down. You can hear it through the whole video, but specially at :25seconds and REALLY well at :29seconds. And to be honest I can't hear that tapping over the exhaust while riding.

https://www.youtube....h?v=C20qZZmpGPU

-Third one almost 11 months later, Literally haven't altered the bike in any way shape or form other than putting the MCCT back on, new spark plug, air filter, and did an oil change and rode around the block a few times before pulling in and recording this. It idles higher, yet reads about the same on the tack......ignore the paint >.>

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I can literally feel it through the bars, seat, and pegs at time. But also I can't tell sometimes if it's just the exhaust. My buddy wanted to ride it around the block and that's when I really really noticed it. If I'm keeping constant throttle it taps pretty good. Sometimes it's quieter than others, but again with the exhaust it's hard to tell. I have noticed under load it makes almost no noise. Nobody around here has this bike so it's kinda hard to get a feel for what another one is really suppose to sound like without watching all these youtube videos clearly recorded with a rock.

Previous owner only had it for a few months, (he had 2) due to financial reasons had to sell one. I am friends with the guy so I trusted him. He rides so I know he took care of it while he had it. Although I really don't know much about the original owner (2 owners) so I'm not 100% sure what all has been done. besides the rs3 slip on and jd kit it's stock. little over 11k on it.

Let me know what you guys think before I tear in to do loctite fixes.It's suppose to rain the next few days so I'd like to do everything while it's crappy out. I wont know for sure until I dig in but I'd like some opinions from other owners before I begin to ease my mind.

Thanks

12K miles is about right for stretching a timing chain, with the stock tensioner. might be time to replace the chain and install the manual tensioner. it WILL run better, start easier, etc after doing so.

as far as the noise goes, i listened to video #3. sounded ok to me.

metal flakes: oh no. the piston may be eating the cylinder, or the opposite. i'm betting the nikasil has worn off, causing loss of power, some out of round, and some piston slap. it will grenade if left too long, or seize.

checking the valve lash only takes 20 minutes or so. i don't think it's contributing to the metal flakes, but it needs cehcking anyway.

valve clearances have never been checked??...That would be the first thing to look at...

The auto decomp mechanism has been the cause of many over noisy DRZ engines..

I probably should have done it when I first bought it, I'm not sure if previous owner ever did. And I have no idea about the original owner.

New timing chain, and I'm sure if it hasn't been checked it'll need re-shimmed. I'll go ahead and do the auto decomp too. Thanks.

Also could the metal swirl be from the clutch, I did a tad of hard riding before I put it away, and had a mishit or two. could it just have been everything settling over the winter?

It was so small and thin, but it was built up, I cleaned it off the magnetic drain plug and it was almost like oily. There were not "shards" I don't believe there was a sliver, Just very metallic. Regardless I'll see if there is any built up when I get into it.

But about video 2, moving, the ticking near the end of the video when I'm coasting on the gas? Timing chain perhaps?

Edited by UsaRubber

I probably should have done it when I first bought it, I'm not sure if previous owner ever did. And I have no idea about the original owner.

New timing chain, and I'm sure if it hasn't been checked it'll need re-shimmed. I'll go ahead and do the auto decomp too. Thanks.

Also could the metal swirl be from the clutch, I did a tad of hard riding before I put it away, and had a mishit or two. could it just have been everything settling over the winter?

It was so small and thin, but it was built up, I cleaned it off the magnetic drain plug and it was almost like oily. There were not "shards" I don't believe there was a sliver, Just very metallic. Regardless I'll see if there is any built up when I get into it.

But about video 2, moving, the ticking near the end of the video when I'm coasting on the gas? Timing chain perhaps?

that bike is QUIET. i listened to all three, and it sounded good. again, the drz is a noisy bike. noisy at 1000 miles, noisy at 41,000 miles but still going. if you've adjusted the manual tensioner correctly, forget about what you're hearing. shields and loose bolts will mimmic a bad engine too. check your fasteners. ?

the oil.... that's not normal. getting some metal on the drain plug IS normal, but it shouldn't be seen in the oil. oil is supposed to be one of two colors:

(new oil) honey

(used oil) black

any other color means you spent way too much money (new oil) or have serious problems brewing (used oil).

that bike is QUIET. i listened to all three, and it sounded good. again, the drz is a noisy bike. noisy at 1000 miles, noisy at 41,000 miles but still going. if you've adjusted the manual tensioner correctly, forget about what you're hearing. shields and loose bolts will mimmic a bad engine too. check your fasteners. ?

the oil.... that's not normal. getting some metal on the drain plug IS normal, but it shouldn't be seen in the oil. oil is supposed to be one of two colors:

(new oil) honey

(used oil) black

any other color means you spent way too much money (new oil) or have serious problems brewing (used oil).

The second video there is a clear unusual tap that isn't present in the take off, and comes in almost at an instant when I get coasting to a regular speed.

But I'm going to guess the noise I'm hearing is -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63YG4DmI0E&feature=youtu.be