Sign in to follow this  

For those that replaced a tank - seat locking screw removal?

OK, both of you, haha... were you able to remove the "seat locking screw" (part 3189010)?

Mine just spins in the stock tank, so I don't think I can remove it. Any ideas?

I really want to install my Clarke tank and ride this weekend, but not sure if I can get this part delivered that fast. (I don't even know where to order a stock part... does anyone drop ship?)

The allen head bolts that hold my rad shrouds spin inside the tank, too... kinda pisses me off.

I didn't spin the insert on purpose, but I don't know how to not spin it. None of it is exposed, so I can't grab it. I just turned the screw with a flathead, and it doesn't come loose... is there a trick to it?

I didn't spin the insert on purpose, but I don't know how to not spin it. None of it is exposed, so I can't grab it. I just turned the screw with a flathead, and it doesn't come loose... is there a trick to it?

No trick, sounds like it was over tightened or got some moisture in there and corroded a bit, if you can drill a couple of small holes in the insert spray some penetrating lube and get some angle snap ring pliers in there

• Like 1

or just buy a new seat screw, and put it in your new tank so you don't have to change it when you change the tanks. Same goes for the petcock.

• Like 1

"or just buy a new seat screw"

That's the direction I'm leaning, but I don't know where to get one fast. (I'm doing a long ride later in April, and want to test the new tank, but I'm going out of town next weekend. So, my only chance to test the tank is this weekend.)

No trick, sounds like it was over tightened or got some moisture in there and corroded a bit, if you can drill a couple of small holes in the insert spray some penetrating lube and get some angle snap ring pliers in there

That's the best bet. Another thing to consider is the use of Never Seeze when reinstalling bolts that need frequent removal.

I'll spray some Liquid Wrench (or something similar, depending on what I've got) tonight. I'm not drilling anything around there, though (heh, plastic, gas fumes, metal- I can picture a disaster).

Sooo, the other question... what's the fastest way to get a stock part? I've ordered accessories from Dave (Get Dirty), but paying $15 shipping for a part that probably costs $3 is kinda silly. And, if he could get a part like this, it wouldn't be here by the weekend (he's probably 2000 miles away).

A guy at my garage suggested McMaster Carr, in the interim. (They have some stuff that looks like it might work.) I guess I could try for something similar at Lowes (although, they have very little metric stuff at my local store)... I just hate the thought of a rig-job on this bike, even if it is temporary.

I'll spray some Liquid Wrench (or something similar, depending on what I've got) tonight. I'm not drilling anything around there, though (heh, plastic, gas fumes, metal- I can picture a disaster).

Sooo, the other question... what's the fastest way to get a stock part? I've ordered accessories from Dave (Get Dirty), but paying $15 shipping for a part that probably costs $3 is kinda silly. And, if he could get a part like this, it wouldn't be here by the weekend (he's probably 2000 miles away).

Jeez, I thought I lived on the dark side of the moon! I have a great dealer that always seems to have the parts I need in stock and he gets them to me with Greyhound in 2 days at the most. I did a search for Beta Motorcycle dealers in New York and this shop came up http://www.3seasrecreation.com/pages/mall%20store/About%20Us.html

Give them a call and get riding! $15 for shipping is two tanks of gas, small potatoes compared to not being able to ride.

The insert is brass, if you drill on an angle into the threads of the bolt and spray lube it would be fine.

I would just make a temp one from a fender washer and screw until you get your new one

I emailed AB, and they said they would drop ship to me via Priority Mail if "my" dealer placed the order. So, I called Scott at Moto Connection (where I bought my bike, used, in VT) and he said he'd place the order today. That was cool of both parties.

As a backup (in case I don't get the part by Sat), I'll try and rig something from Lowes, if I can.

I emailed AB, and they said they would drop ship to me via Priority Mail if "my" dealer placed the order. So, I called Scott at Moto Connection (where I bought my bike, used, in VT) and he said he'd place the order today. That was cool of both parties.

As a backup (in case I don't get the part by Sat), I'll try and rig something from Lowes, if I can.

Not that big of a deal. Just use a strip of Gorilla tape…..