Sign in to follow this  

2004 TC450 no start elec issue?

I'm looking for some help on a 2004 TC450. I'm looking to buy this bike. The owner says there is an electical issue and for this reason the bike will not start. Here is all the info I have.

2004 Husqvarna tc450F dirtbike -

I have a 2004 blue and yellow husqvarna 450F that is in awesome mechanical and cosmetic cond. But has an electrical issue.I don't know anything about electric on the bike so here's your chance to get a nice bike for cheap.

Contacted the seller and got the following info

"There's no Mechanical or engine problems. That's why I can't figure out where the electical problem is. I've had a mechanic work on it and he says everything is spot on for the motor and timing etc. But he didn't know where the electrical fault was".

I know this isn't a lot to go on, but having been a TT member for a while I knew if anyone could help me out it would be here. The guy is sellingit pretty cheap and if it's worth it I'd love to buy it, but I have 0 expeience with Husqvarna (other than my garden tractor). So let me know your thoughts. What you think may be the issue, how to check that theory when I go to look at it (wednesday). Or anything that would be obvious no-go's.

Thanks

My advice would be don't go near it unless it's very cheap (i.e.less than half the price of an equivalent runner) and even then only buy it if you can afford to write off the cash, or spend all your free time troubleshooting instead of riding. That isn't a Husky specific observation, but a general thing regarding any non-runner with an unidentified fault. Buying a ten year od competition bike is enough of a minefield without the extra uncertainty of not being able to hear it running and rip round the block to see if the wheels fall off, or it's going to burn a sumpful of oil every ride. The Mikuni carb on the '04 might need a little setup (I have an '04), although most bikes that have made it this far should have been tweaked by now. Some also had a problem with valves, but if the bike in question has it's manual decompressor lever on the clutch master cylinder cover then it should be ok. Low hour '04s with a decomp lever on a separate handlebar perch (it looks a bit like a mountain bike brake lever and perch) might still have the defective valves and are best avoided. TBH I wouldn't buy any thumper without hearing it running...

the guy might be legit, but his mechanic certainly doesn't.know what he's doing. If he can't at least identify the fault then how on earth would he have any idea about the rest of the motor being "spot on"?

If you're still tempted then pump the guy for more information before you go see it. Was it running when he bought it? What was the failure mode? This might yield a few clues (and might give you a feeling of whether he's legit or not). The CDI seems to be pretty reliable, but I've heard of the odd stator failure - it sometimes happens if the inside of the generator rotor has a build up of magnetic debris in it. Many electrical problems are due to plug cap failure, a poor connection between the ignition coil and frame, or loom trouble (either a chafed / broken wire, or some kind of "modification" involving pliers, electrical tape and stupidity...), but any mechanic should be able to spot those.

I love my '04, but if this is your first Husky I would recommend considering the '05 - '07 models. They're basically the same bike (bar cosmetics), but without the wrinkles regarding valves, carb and kickstart (the '04 had a kicker as a factory option and it's not unknown for it to break crankcases).

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. 🙂

Thanks 7point62. Is that X39 or X59? The guy lives about 10 minutes away from me and wants $1,000 so I figured it worth a look. That's exactly the type of knowledge I was looking for. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok. So I went out to take alook at it. It did have the decomp lever on the clutch master cylinder cover. I got to say i was expecting to see it on the separate perch. First thing I did was throw an inline spark tester on it and to my surprise it was sparking when kicked over. Ok So now I'm thrown off because I wasn't expecting to see spark since it has an "electrical" issue. Next I tested the compression of the top end. I only got a reading of about sixty but the kid was having to pull the decomp lever while he was kicking it. I hooked my jumper pack up to the battery leads as the battery was missing and tried turning it over this way. It sounded like the starter gear was just spinning inside the housing.

Info obtained from the seller: He bought the bike about six months ago from a friend. He purchased in its current state. Did not have a lot of info from the friend. Says friend replaced the wiring harness due to an electrical problem (ie.. it lit on fire).

So my thought are if it's getting fuel air and spark and has compression... the timing has to be off.

Any thoughts?

Edited by lcky13

see the problem isnt so much the bike as it is the people you are getting this information from...Lets face it these guys dont have any idea what is wrong or rite about this bike...They sound like someone who has loads of ambition with no experiance or knowlage to the piece of equipment they are trying to diagnose...This is the scary part because what else mite be wrong that they thought or didnt think was a prblem or never even knew anything was wrong at all?I can tell you why it doesnt start.with the E starter.But first I have to say regardless of that problem,If you have a spark and gas you should be able to start that engine .Even if you have to bump start it.If youturn on the switch put it in second gearand get it rolling ,that engine should start in less than 200 feet or forget about it...Even if it fires up and seemes to run well It ait worth more than 750.00 MAX !In order for the engine to start and run riteyou will have to replace the (if im not mitaken)im pretty sure they call it the free-wheel,which is a part that is mounted on the crank shaft that engages when starting the engine with the E starter.It acctually locks on to the crank shaft and turns the motor over...when the motor startsit spins free...its like then a battery+oil &filter?like 300.00bucks rite there ..If thats all thats wrong you mite have some fun with it...But listen to me ,That guy wont get even close to a thousand for that bike,and he obviously dosnt have any idea whats wrong with it or hed probably would be riding it...I know I would

039.JPG

Edited by dzrhnds