Sign in to follow this  

DR350 owners, need trans help fast!

Hi guys.

Im working on a 1993 Dr350. Basically a project bike that I bought mostly torn apart and I have yet to ride it or hear it run.

The case was not split apart, so I know this isnt a re-assembly error.

What I want to know is this. The bike does not run yet. The motor is now just sitting in the frame and nothing else, not even the chain is connected. In this state, with the bike not running and not moving, should I be able to grab the shifter and row thru all the gears?

I can push the shifter down and get it to engage first. I can pull it up once and get it to engage second. I can confirm that it is in gear because if I roll the engine by hand, the drive gear for the chain will turn.

However, if I try to pull up again and try to hit what should be third....the shifter will not move. It does not follow the full range of motion. It moves a very short distance and stops and I cannot get it to move any further or engage the next gear. Seems like all I can do is row back and forth between 1 and 2 and thats it.

Does the bike need to be running or moving to be able to hit 3rd or higher? Does the clutch need to be engaged? Its not even hooked up yet.

I do not want to go any further in the assembly process if its all gonna have to come back apart.

FYI I pulled the side case off to check the shift drum bolt as I have seen it mentioned often.

Everything appears to be ok. However, and this is hard to explain but the shift shaft, when pushed all the way into the case as it should be, does not 100% engage the gear that the shift drum bolt holds.

They are meshed properly center to center, but they only overlap around 50%. The gear behind the shift drum bolt is deeper into the case. Think of it like an underbite if that makes sense.

What do you guys think?

Its not uncommon to need one or both gear shafts to be spun slightly to get the gears to engage...but not sure about your changer shaft problem without a pic or sommat.

• Like 1

Ive never broken one of these fully open. Do I have to get in the left side case to see the gear shafts? And how do I determine by looking at them whether or not they need repositioned in any way? I've always been mechanically inclined. this is my first bike in a long long time, but Im typically building race cars, so I should be able to figure it out as long as I know what Im lookin for.

Edit: Or when you say turned slightly....do you simply mean like if the bike were moving, they would naturally be turning, and may properly catch...or is this something that I must manually fix?

I have a service manual, but its not very helpful in this area. Kinda like.....here is how you put it together, in real basic terms. No in depth talk about how everything is supposed to line up or troubleshooting or anything.

I can get some photos of what Im talking about.

Thanks!

Edited by greg_moreira

Alright we have a pic. I think this one shows it pretty well. The bottom gear that kinda looks like a crown is attached to the gear shift shaft. Then we have the upper gear, which is held in place by the shift drum bolt.

The shift shaft and bottom gear are pushed all the way in the case, but see how they do not completely mesh? The gear attached to the shift drum bolt is recessed further back in. Not sure if this is indicating some sort of problem with the shift drum or not.

6E61139F-56A9-4EA8-AC68-737ABB8A01AF-1244-0000011E39729B75_zps80b2186c.jpg

The transmission usually will not shift unless the shafts are turning.

This takes two people. You didn’t mention how much of the motor was assembled? This assumes the entire bottom end is assembled with drive gear and clutch installed. You did mention that the chain was removed. Keep the chain off. Remove the sparkplug. Remove the left-hand crankcase timing cover. It’s the small allen wrench cover in the middle of the case. If there is oil in the engine, oil will drip out the cover. With a socket and wrench, turn the crankshaft counter clockwise. While the crank is being turned, have the other person try and move the gear shift selector. If the trans shifts through the gears in this manner, it should be okay.

Or if the drive gear and clutch are not installed, then slip the inner clutch hub on the input shaft and turn the input shaft by hand with the clutch hub.

Good luck!

Awesome. I "hope" this is my issue and I will give it a shot.

Its empty of oil, but fully assembled now, minus the side case pulled off for inspection and the picture.

The clutch is in, but obviously since the side case is off, the cable is not hooked up.

Will this make a difference in my findings? In other words, should I have it fully assembled, have somebody spinning the motor by hand, and Im pulling the clutch and shifting or does the clutch not even matter?

Just wasnt sure if there was anything in this particular trans that would make it difficult to shift in this manner without the clutch being used.

The clutch needs to be fully assembled in that the drive gear on the crank will turn the clutch and the clutch will turn the input shaft.

The clutch cable does not need to be connected or actuated when shifting through gears while hand turning the crank.

Its all good now, thanks guys!

Seems that when I had the side case off previously, I must have goofed up the shift shaft somehow and didnt have it catching the drum properly. It was giving me issues with the shifting last night, and I realigned the gears, but wasnt having any luck last night.

I took a picture for you guys today, made sure it was all lined up properly, put the side case back on, and suddenly all is well.

it seems I may have panicked over nothing, but it had me a lil worried for sure, as even after I first got it lined back up properly....I was having trouble getting it to shift.

Even though this bike has been a heck of a project and Ive had it 90 percent apart redoing everything(and it has needed a bit).....I practically stole it for the price I got it for.

When I discovered the shifting issue(that I apparently caused) I thought for a second "oh...now I see why it was such a good deal".

At this point all I need is an air cleaner, oil change, and spark plug and she's ready to run(well..gotta clean up the wiring).

Hopefully there arent any surprise electrical issues.

For sure. As of now, it looks as if all I have to do is sort out the wiring, and a spark plug, fresh oil change, and air filter should be all thats needed to get it going.

Hopefully there are no unforseen electrical issues!!

I will definitely have some updated progress pics soon