backys

Show me your...BETA !

2016 Xtrainer Backcountry Edition

20180618.jpg

On 5/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, EnduroPNW said:

Ran into a mountain lion on today's ride. Kinda freaky. Other then that pretty nice ride.

It's always fun to see rare big game predators in the wild.  But here in Idaho the wolves occupy more of my attention than mountain lions or bears.  There's more of them and they're less intimidated by human presence.  But that's okay, I have a chainsaw... and a hockey mask, LOL.

<size 12 boot for reference>

20180619.jpg

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, wwguy said:

2016 Xtrainer Backcountry Edition

20180618.jpg

It's always fun to see rare big game predators in the wild.  But here in Idaho the wolves occupy more of my attention than mountain lions or bears.  There's more of them and they're less intimidated by human presence.  But that's okay, I have a chainsaw... and a hockey mask, LOL.

<size 12 boot for reference>

20180619.jpg

Shit you got some dire wolves there!

7 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Shit you got some dire wolves there!

Yes!  We've got ticks, rattlesnakes, rednecks, and forest fires too!  Tell everyone you ride with not to come to Idaho.  It's not safe here!  Ha ha! :lol:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wwguy said:

Yes!  We've got ticks, rattlesnakes, rednecks, and forest fires too!  Tell everyone you ride with not to come to Idaho.  It's not safe here!  Ha ha! :lol:

It’s a long swim but some end up riding on the west side. We only have centipedes and wild boar .. nothing compared.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2018 at 9:01 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

It’s a long swim but some end up riding on the west side. We only have centipedes and wild boar .. nothing compared.

Lots of black bear, coyotes and wild turkeys in Northern NJ

Moma-bears-and-babies.jpg

Wild%20Turkey%20b13-38-914_l_1.jpg

coyotejpg-01060910ba2e5fa1.jpg

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MarantzManiac said:

Hows the bears? Any issues? Or any animals you see when riding? There’s nothing for us thankfully 

I forgot.. we got wild Turkeys on the big island 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Hows the bears? Any issues? Or any animals you see when riding? There’s nothing for us thankfully 

I forgot.. we got wild Turkeys on the big island 

Bears mostly keep to themselves unless they feel threatened, with cubs or woken up in a den during hibernation.

We found this dead guy in the street last week... walking the trail I'm more concerned about copperhead or timber rattler ruining my day than a bear.

36358235_10215712975873412_8284258054396968960_o.jpg

Edited by MarantzManiac
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, MarantzManiac said:

Bears mostly keep to themselves unless they feel threatened, with cubs or woken up in a den during hibernation.

We found this dead guy in the street last week... walking the trail I'm more concerned about copperhead or timber rattler ruining my day than a bear.

36358235_10215712975873412_8284258054396968960_o.jpg

Yea that doesn’t look appealing. I guess it’s adapting to what you have no matter where you live.

• Like 1

Copperheads can be very aggressive (I assume because their venom isn't all that bad) and the east coast rattlesnakes are about as deadly as any snake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marylander said:

Copperheads can be very aggressive (I assume because their venom isn't all that bad) and the east coast rattlesnakes are about as deadly as any snake.

Maybe that’s another reason to armour up

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yeah, but they go for your lower leg so boots are generally good enough (I do wear full armor though). I was out trail running once and saw a copperhead crossing about 10 yards in front of me. He stopped, stuck his head up, and just stared at me for a few minutes before moving. I don't wear armor when running so I just gave him his space. ;)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Marylander said:

My son and I have a technique for training copperheads to be good snakes when we're out riding.   As you are hauling a$$ toward them to hit them, grab some clutch and throttle as you're rolling over them.  Pop the clutch a sling them out the back.  Makes for a he77 of a show if you're riding behind the person doing this.  They end up looking similar to the pic above . . .

• Like 2

23 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

We were out trail riding down at Hatfield and I had stopped to wait for the other guys. I walked over to the edge of the trail to water some rocks and as I'm standing there about to do my thing, this stick hits me in the boot. Wtf was that about? Then I hear the rattle. OH &%$#@! OH &%$#@! OH &%$#@! DON'T BITE ME IN THE DICK!!! as I'm stumbling backwards trying not to  scream like a little girl :lol: :foul: 

OH NO, don't rattle as I'm walking up. Just strike first you &%$#@!. Ugh, took a while to calm down after that.

Edited by gots_a_sol
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gots_a_sol said:

We were out trail riding down at Hatfield and I had stopped to wait for the other guys. I walked over to the edge of the trail to water some rocks and as I'm standing there about to do my thing, this stick hits me in the boot. Wtf was that about? Then I hear the rattle. OH &%$#@! OH &%$#@! OH &%$#@! DON'T BITE ME IN THE DICK!!! as I'm stumbling backwards trying not to  scream like a little girl :lol: :foul: 

OH NO, don't rattle as I'm walking up. Just strike first you &%$#@!. Ugh, took a while to calm down after that.

Does anyone carry a snakebite kit of some other shit just in case???

12 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Does anyone carry a snakebite kit of some other shit just in case???

I've never known anyone to do that. However, the rattlers are very common so anti-venom is easy to get/most hospitals/clinics near the mountains have it or can get it quickly. Of course, you can be in a pretty remote location without easy access so a kit might make sense. I haven't heard of anyone dirt riding actually getting bit though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, markbfe501 said:

My son and I have a technique for training copperheads to be good snakes when we're out riding.   As you are hauling a$$ toward them to hit them, grab some clutch and throttle as you're rolling over them.  Pop the clutch a sling them out the back.  Makes for a he77 of a show if you're riding behind the person doing this.  They end up looking similar to the pic above . . .

My dad would've loved this. If he was in the middle of a field swinging a shovel or stomping randomly chances are there was a snake involved. He killed every one he saw, poisonous or not. He said it had to do with keeping the horses safe but he killed the ones far away from the horses too. Just hated them.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Marylander said:

My dad would've loved this. If he was in the middle of a field swinging a shovel or stomping randomly chances are there was a snake involved. He killed every one he saw, poisonous or not. He said it had to do with keeping the horses safe but he killed the ones far away from the horses too. Just hated them.

Rattlers and Coppers would be smart to stay out of our backyard... I'm not going to lose one of our dobermans over a snake... however we've seen snake tail coming out of their mouths so not sure they need protection.

Saw this deadly guy last year....     

diadophus_punctatus_20130817.jpg

harmless pink ring-neck snake!

Edited by MarantzManiac

I train all venomous snakes to be good snakes as I have animals and grandkids all over our properties.  I leave the others alone.  I snatch hook the alligators that hang out behind the house and haul them out to the bay via boat.  I also run across a ton of these. . .  Pick these up when cleaning branches from the property.  I just hope I see them before they see me. . . .

IMG_8312.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/9/2018 at 9:47 PM, MarantzManiac said:

Bears scare the hell  out of me anything as smart as a dog that can crush your head like a ping pong ball is to be afraid of. Here in Oz we have no big predators like that. 

MM