What transmission oil should I run in my 99 rm125

Your're likely to get as many answers as they're species of plants. I personally use ATF in my gear boxes on 2 and 4-strokes. But really like it in my 2-strokes. It makes for great shifting and clutch fanning recovery on 2-strokes.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

• 2 months later...

I've found that the

Pro Honda HP Transmission Oil

performed best in 2 stroke gear boxes. When you pour it in it looks similar to ATF, but you have piece of mind, knowing it is spec'd for MX bike transmissions. I've also used the Bel-Ray 80wt Gear Saver with no complaints, but found the clutch action to be lighter with Honda, but that just could be it was more broken by the time I changed to the Honda stuff...

I'm no oil chemist, but from my understanding, the thicknes of the fluid is only part of the protection, but the ability of the fluid to "shear" the friction of the gears contact under a load is important too. Some of the turbo European cars I work on use ATF in the stick/standard transmissions. The fluid in these cars stays cleaner longer than a bike because there are no cluthces to wear and contaminate the fluid. As someone above mentioned, I got many hours on gear boxes with no problems. It's cheap enough to change it every week.