2002 PW50 sounds like its loaded up, will not rev?!

I have been reading over hundreds of post on the net about this problem. Nobody seems to have an answer. This thing will not rev, sounds like a complete turd even with new piston and rings. Ive cleaned the OEM carb, and Ive even put a new carb on it (Minki) and it runs the same. Run/start/off switch is new, new plug, new air filter, exhaust is not mucked up. Im baffled at this point. I just want my 4 y/o son to be able to ride this thing again.

I suspect that it is running way too rich only because when I shut the fuel off and it starts to run out, thus leaning ou,t it runs like a complete champ right before it runs out of fuel and dies. Am I way off or should I lean this thing out with a smaller main jet???

Tried taking the airbox off, it may have been a hair better but no, not close. Im looking for someone with alot of knowledge about these pw50's to give me a straight answer because soooo many people have the same issues.

Shes ok for the first 8th of a turn of throttle, after that Tuuuurrrrrddd! Any good info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jleonard

Check your ignition grounds. I recently repaired a Kx 65 with identical problem that was caused by a loose ground wire connection near ignition coil. It acted like there was a rev limiter at 2000 rpm. Remove every ground wire connection you can find even if is tight and clean the mating surface.

No washer, took care of that last year. Baked the exhaust today and blew it out with an air chuck. Im gonna clean the grounds tomorrow and order up a 65 main jet to lean her out a little. Runs like a champ just before running the bowl dry!

Still ran like a turd today too.

No forget the bottom!! Lean it out!! I'm not a peewee guy nor do I own one but my ds80 did this and it was the float hight!!! Check float hight and maybe lean it out a tad!! You should not need to be a pw guy to figure this out, it's basically a chain saw motor in a bike!!!

Also is the oil pump still hooked up?

Too late on the rebuild. I did order a 65 main and yes, the pump is still hooked up. I do suspect its pumping too much oil in. I may delete it and start premixing.

sometimes its the simplest of things, when was the last time the airfilter was cleaned?

Reeds good, air filter gos without saying.

Got the motor back, ran the same. Put the 65 main jet in and moved the clip to the top of the needle position and bang she purs now the way shes supposed to.

The tapping sound has also disappeared with the new crank and cylinder. Every youtube video Ive seen with pws Ive heard the same tapping. Might want to check those crank seals boys.

I did not delete the oil pump BTW.

I was worried about going to a 65, so i just went down to 67.5. I havent moved the needle yet either since i for some reason have a thing about having it in the last position...maybe i should? Did you mess with the oil pump at all or just straight lean it out?

Ive noticed an improvement with new reeds and leaner main. Ill see what the last clip position does. Amazing that my 4 year old with about 4 hours total experience noticed it running crisper already

Ok, while running it a second time today I noticed a little pop in the head area when going from half throttle to chopping it off. Maybe too lean soooo Im putting the needle in position two just to be safe. Umm thar and I forgot to put the exhaust crush washer back in. Without the restrictor washer though. We will see and go from there. Still runs 100% better leaned out though.

Thats money! Clip in position two from top, 65 main with oil pump operating. Not loading up. Now Im happy and my boy will be as soon as the rain quits.

Did you mess with the pilot or is it still 40? What about reeds, stock? Sorry if you mentioned it earlier as im on my phone and cant see the post as i type. I dropped boyesen dual stage reeds and i have to say i noticed a difference right away

• Like 1