Sign in to follow this  

Oil Level Observation

I check the oil by the book, run 3 minutes then let bike sit level 3 minutes then check oil. I add oil so it is at the full mark. After riding for the day I check the oil and it is 1/8 inch or higher above the full mark because the oil is hot. I assume Honda took this into account when determing the proper crankcase oil level because running the bike for 3 minutes does not get the oil hot. The oil is not foaming and there is not an excessive amount of oil in the crankcase breather drain tube. Should I keep running the oil at the full mark or adjust accordingly so it reads full when the oil is hot?

I run mine at the full mark when cold. I've also overfilled on occasion by 1/8" on the stick and never had a problem.

Jim.

I check the oil by the book, run 3 minutes then let bike sit level 3 minutes then check oil. I add oil so it is at the full mark. After riding for the day I check the oil and it is 1/8 inch or higher above the full mark because the oil is hot. I assume Honda took this into account when determing the proper crankcase oil level because running the bike for 3 minutes does not get the oil hot. The oil is not foaming and there is not an excessive amount of oil in the crankcase breather drain tube. Should I keep running the oil at the full mark or adjust accordingly so it reads full when the oil is hot?

Some oil expands, some constricts.

It's not all that accurate either. I go hot, then check it after 1 minute and again at 10 min.

You can put up to 800ccs in the motor side and 1000cc's in the trans side without adverse effects.