Camping and Riding in Eastern Washington

Washington

Posted earlier about Sun Lakes, doesn't sound like a great destination for riding... Does anyone have a good suggestion on a spot to pull the RV and do some riding? Have beginning riders (50cc and 110cc), so nice easy trails would be ideal. Trip is in early May, it looks like some spots aren't open (like Naches).

Thanks for any help!

Beverly sand dunes for kiddos. It won't keep an experienced adult rider entertained for very long, but my kiddos are always asking me to take them! It's kind of a dive for camping but an RV would make it bearable.

You could go about 2 hours farther east and camp at Riverside SP and ride 7 Mile.

You could go about 2 hours farther east and camp at Riverside SP and ride 7 Mile.

I think you shorted it Two miles. :thumbsup:

I think you shorted it Two miles. :thumbsup:

haha My bad! When he said "Eastern Washington", I didn't know he really meant Central Washington. :confused:

Goose Creek campground up the Chiwawa should be good to go by then. Trails right out of the campground. Call the Leavenworth ranger station to check if I'm right about it being open by then.

Central, Eastern, whatever :thumbsup: don't mind driving to get to a good spot.

Anyone live near Plain\Goose Creek, is the snow melting\gone? Could stick to the lower trails, that might work.

Central, Eastern, whatever :thumbsup: don't mind driving to get to a good spot.

Anyone live near Plain\Goose Creek, is the snow melting\gone? Could stick to the lower trails, that might work.

This is definately a good place to take the kiddos. There is a nice 1-mileish loop for beginners that is next to the campground.

Goose Creek campground up the Chiwawa should be good to go by then. Trails right out of the campground. Call the Leavenworth ranger station to check if I'm right about it being open by then.

for the kids this will be ok, if they're just interested in the campground loop. but all the trails into the mad complex will still be closed then. they're traditionally one of the last to open in the state.

Foggy Dew!

I'd check with the ranger station to be sure, but the lower trails don't have a seasonal closure. Plenty of miles to be had with those. Just be sure not to get into the closed areas. Bring a saw if you have one.

http://www.fs.usda.g...prdb5313093.pdf

Correct. Just the stuff in the Mad Lake basin is closed. Plenty of riding down low, especially for kids. Snow here in the Entiat Valley is melted back a long way. Haven't been over to the Lake Wenatchee side since January though. Give em a call... 548.2550

Edited by tek9tim

for the kids this will be ok, if they're just interested in the campground loop. but all the trails into the mad complex will still be closed then. they're traditionally one of the last to open in the state.

Haha... internal struggle between making sure factual information is being shared and keeping westsiders on their side of the pass...

Haha... internal struggle between making sure factual information is being shared and keeping westsiders on their side of the pass...

:) Goose Creek...Nothing to see here ;)

Correct. Just the stuff in the Mad Lake basin is closed. Plenty of riding down low, especially for kids. Snow here in the Entiat Valley is melted back a long way. Haven't been over to the Lake Wenatchee side since January though. Give em a call... 548.2550

When are the trails on the Entiat side typically rideable?

When are the trails on the Entiat side typically rideable?

You asked me that last year! Haha... you have a PM, sir.

There are going to be a ton of downed trees in the Mad Lake area this year I think. I have a place near there and the area got really hammered this year right before Xmas with ice/snowstorm that broke a lot of trees all over the place. Gotta believe that happened on the trails as well. Haven't been out riding in the area yet. Still patches of snow in spots along the road, but not too much. Just tons of debris along the roads from all the downed trees.

There are going to be a ton of downed trees in the Mad Lake area this year I think. I have a place near there and the area got really hammered this year right before Xmas with ice/snowstorm that broke a lot of trees all over the place. Gotta believe that happened on the trails as well. Haven't been out riding in the area yet. Still patches of snow in spots along the road, but not too much. Just tons of debris along the roads from all the downed trees.

Only happened within a limited elevation range. In the Mad River, it starts around TIllicum Creek and ends around Pine Flats. (Pine Flats is the trailhead for the Lower Mad River trail) Plain/Lake Wenatchee are right at the elevation that got hammered by that storm. Even get to the top of Loop Hill (inside the corner of the Chiwawa Loop and Chiwawa River roads) and there aren't hardly any trees down.