Sign in to follow this  

Cali smog legal?

Moving to cali from Minnesota

What to expect with my all stock 1985 600r. It is licenced in mn.

Will it pass? Should I sell it and buy one out there?

not sure about CA allowing outside state plates in without any problems, its pretty tough and im sure you cant just walk in and get a CA plate, there strict about what comes stock and what doesnt, it could be done with some work im sure but it wont be walk in and walk out.

Maybe something like a 650L where your gonna have no issues forever????

Where you at in CA???

It's easier to get vehicles registed when you move here from an other state. That's one of the few ways to get a non-California emissions car or bike in with less than 7500 miles on it.

But if you're trying to bring in something that was not street-legal when it was originally sold, you can expect a lot more problems with trying to get it in. At least, if you want it to be street-legal here.

I recommend selling it before moving.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sell it. Its old enough to get Cali plates. Bikes don't get smogged here. I had AAA do my work. I was already a member. But my plates were already registered in California. Still think you're good. Lots of people move here from Collrado, Arizona, etc. alot of dual sports out here. Do you have AAA by chance? They offer DMV services, I don't even go to the DMV anymore (blessed) I would inquire

Oh and my bike was uncorked, no mirrors, no turn signals, no horn, no brake light and I had no problem getting it in my name. Maybe I lucked out.

Edited by notoriousE-R-I-C

I only know it's easier to bring a car into Cal than it is to get a similar car already previously licensed here transferred or reregistered.

Scott got a good point unless you really love that bike dump it there is plenty of bikes out here to choose from. You will also save money shipping it or how ever you are to move it

I would just leave it plated in MN, change address to family or friends house, and run it. That it what we do when we take plated nevada dirtbikes to our cabin outside the cities in WI... I lived in CA for a long time, the DMV makes your life hard.

T

Hmm, it is all stock and licenced, the stock pipe says cali legal right on it. So it should be simple? What more can they make me do?? Not sure about this aaa stuff but sounds good.

Hmm, it is all stock and licenced, the stock pipe says cali legal right on it. So it should be simple? What more can they make me do?? Not sure about this aaa stuff but sounds good.

I'm guessing by "600R" you meant XL600R?

If the bike was originally street legal, then you just need to get the VIN numbers checked for the frame and engine, pay some fees and you're good. And AAA can't check the VIN, so you'll have to go to a DMV office for that.