98 yz 250 cutting out at top speed

I just bought this bike about a week ago and every time I pin it in 5th gear she dies about 20 seconds after doing so. When it cuts out, it dies completely, can't jump it or kick it over for about 5-10 minutes. It only happens in 5th. Engine was rebuilt about 8 hours ago (top and bottem end), compression is fine. Just had everything serviced, including fresh oil and coolent. Seems to hesitate a little bit in 1st and 2nd but it isn't to bad. I was reading around, and i've got 2 ideas as to what it could be, either overheating or a bad cdi box. I can't see it overheating, as I am riding in weather thats almost 0C (or 32F), and the cdi box was replaced about a year ago. Any idea as to why this is happening? When I try to kick it over right after it dies, there is little to no effort to kick it over. I have to wait a bit of time for it to be able to kick over again. Once it kicks over, she is perfect.

by whom? You or the seller?

Seller. But the seller was good friends with a co worker of mine, and the person who rebuilt the engine is a reputable guy in town. Has great compression and doesn't have any knocks. I had brought it into my small engine mechanic for a complete look over, and the only thing he found that could be off is a bit of gunk on the power valve which he cleaned up.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll update the tread when I pin point the problem for future reference. I'll start with the coil, then cdi, then clean the carb, then open the engine if all those fail.