Horrible noise in top end

So the other day I went and rode my bike and noticed a horrible sort of clunking and slapping and wondered why because I just did all my fluids so any thoughts? I've heard could be a cam shaft chain tensioner because I have no loss of power but I don't know any thoughts?

If the tensioner failed your cam chain might have jumped a tooth or 2. Regardless you need to get it apart and investigate. Hopefully no real damage has occurred. If it has then hopefully it is minimal. Certainly do not attempt to run it again.

I would turn the motor to TDC by hand using the flywheel mark on the left side and then check to see wear your cam gear mark is. Also while your turning it over look and feel for any binding. If you hear and/or feel anything stop where you are and find the problem.

Edited by mrmoto35

Ya I think I will start to tear into it this weekend I did find son metal shavings in my oil filter so I'm hoping it is from the chain slipping some teeth should I put a manual tensioner on it and what is the best one?

Yes for sure get a manual tensioner. The Thumpertalk store sells a really nice one for around $47.00. Tokyo mods sells a nice one as well that is a little more blingy for around $90.00.

Metal shavings in the filter is not good. What year is your bike? New bikes can have aluminum shavings in the filter that are from the casting process and is usually not a big concern. Steel shavings however are a different story. Steel shavings most commonly mean a rod bearing and or crank bearing. In that case you may be looking at a bottom end rebuild.

If the tensioner failed and the chain skipped that doesn't automatically mean disaster. That occurrence along should not produce metal shavings. If it jumped enough teeth that it sent a valve into the top of the piston then that's something else. Dig into it and see what you find and go from there.

Agree on the manual tensioner , you just need to keep an eye on the chain tension .

BIGBORETHUMPERS.com Has what you are looking for when it comes to manual cam chain tensioners. Our new Pro tensioners are SICK.

If its clacky wackin at ya when its running but still makes decent power and youve found crap in the oil filter, you need a crank. More than likely the left side main bearing is taking a crap. If you wanted to ease your mind, you could pull the stator cover and see if you can feel any play radially in the crank on the flywheel. If you can feel anything at all, its toast. In and out isnt that big of a deal, its not ideal, but its not the end of your world.

Well it made some noise on the ride and I was about 6 miles out from my truck so I tried to get it back and by the time I got back to the truck it was really bad and I didn't even want to try and start it again

Well just took a look at the crank shaft and looks fine except my timing is off and it blowing air out through my carb.

Well just took a look at the crank shaft and looks fine except my timing is off and it blowing air out through my carb.

sounds like your OEM tensioner did what they do...backed off, allowed the timing to jump then reset itself. Reset the timing, throw that tensioner in the friggin trash, buy a manual tensioner (TT has one thats cheaper than the oem, big bore and tokio mods make a really bitchen one).

Check the valve lash. if its excessive .008" or something on the intakes or 015" on the exhausts, you may have a bent valve. if the lash is in spec, you dodged a bullet.

Nm Shawn said it all Edited by mrmoto35

sounds like your OEM tensioner did what they do...backed off, allowed the timing to jump then reset itself. Reset the timing, throw that tensioner in the friggin trash, buy a manual tensioner (TT has one thats cheaper than the oem, big bore and tokio mods make a really bitchen one).

Check the valve lash. if its excessive .008" or something on the intakes or 015" on the exhausts, you may have a bent valve. if the lash is in spec, you dodged a bullet.

Thinking about getting one of these for mine. What is the correct way to set the tension on it with the manual tensioner?

Different tensioners have different procedures. I have the TT and its in the directions. All it is is a bolt and lock nut pushing against the tensioner slide, nothing to fail.

This is the first time taking on a big project and I'm only 16 so this might sound dumb but is the timing the same as on a truck or car with the sprockets lining up with the mark?