Building a 97 KX100 for my girlfriend .... help needed

Hey guys long story short, we bought my girlfriend a 97 kx100 for $700 2 years ago, after the first season I replated the cylinder and threw a wiseco top-end in it. Everything was in good shape when I was in there. The bike sat for over a year ( she didn't want to ride)! Now she does so I told her I would get the bike as safe and reliable as I could within reason $$$.

So here is the story,

I pulled the plug out and shot some fresh premix in the cylinder and turned it over by hand to lube up everything. Once the plug was reinstalled the bike started first kick. Ran great!

Here is the problem... the only way to get the bike started is to shoot fuel into the plug hole to "prime" it. I cleaned the carb out and the same thing happened will only start with said method.

Here is my diagnoses: the bike needs reeds and to have the carb rebuilt.

What kit will fit this carb as I haven't seen one online for a 97kx100.

Are there any issues with this bike I should address, I do not like how the air boot is separate from the air box is there a proven way to seal this as the P.O just slathered RTV all over the outside.

I am not new to 2 strokes.... just the little ones lol so im trying to get this thing together i will pst some pics soon

The Carb is essentially the same as the KX 80, jetting only being slightly different. Get some Self adhesive weather stripping for your air box. Take it apart and seal it from the inside(against the plastic ring).

Hope that help's! Great Ride's!!!

The Carb is essentially the same as the KX 80, jetting only being slightly different. Get some Self adhesive weather stripping for your air box. Take it apart and seal it from the inside(against the plastic ring).

Hope that help's! Great Ride's!!!

Thanks man!

With the airbox seal are you talking about the white plastic "lip" that protrudes when the boot is removed.

Is there a better way to permanently seal/attach the boot and box?

That was what I did after reading Eric Gorr's book. It's a cheap fix because it's not ment to be permanently attached. You could try an automotive trim adhesive?? Or a caulk that won't melt from gas.

Thanks man!

With the airbox seal are you talking about the white plastic "lip" that protrudes when the boot is removed.

Is there a better way to permanently seal/attach the boot and box?

Oh I wasn't thinking. To seal the ring to the box use weather stripping, to seal the tube use trim adhesive or rubber cement. It need's to be somewhat fleible

I will try that.

The bike needs a bit of work before i let her on it.

Some pics of her bike ... note the awesome gasket job

1366312194972.jpg

1366312317962.jpg

1366312357787.jpg

1366312393850.jpg

mabey its just the pic but your air box looks thrashed ....used on ebay pretty cheap

remove the carb and take out the needle valve...then use half a q tip chucked it a drill with a little solvent and polish the crap out of the seat..keep replacing the q tip till seat area is as clean as you can get it

inspect the needle at the rubber for a wear ring clean it up

blow out all the passages and jets with compressed air

if that dont work put a kit in it check your intake boot...from engine side to carb for cracks..if there is replace it

most everything can be bought from ebay used

these bikes didnt change much from your model to present...changed cranks in 06 i think but thats about all

good luck

Thanks man, yea the p.o put RTV all over the outside or the air boot so it looks like shit... ill take it apart and see where its at.

Can anyone confirm what parts / models/years will swap for this bike

Reed boot

Carb rebuild kits... cant seem to find one

Forks/shock,

Anything that will update it a bit

Its a 97kx100 thanks guys ...tracking down parts for my cr250 was way easier than this little bike

pretty much everything is interchangeable on these bikes from year to year....so an airbox from a 2013 will more than likley fit your 97...

i think the only difference is in the engine itself...something with the crank in the pre 06 models but not exactley sure on that

i will stop short of guaraneeing the everything else is interchangeable.....but im pretty damn sure

the swing arm on the 97 is probably made of steel also...but can probably be up graded to aluminium from a newer year etc..

you might do some cross refrencing on the reed side intake also...just to make sure its the same for all years......i would put a newer style flat slide carb on to....the kx 85 and kx 100 in the newer years are all the same too..

except swingarm..and frame ...100 is longer in both areas......everything else interchanges though....

tons of stuff available from e bay...start with the air box

Thanks man i will take a look

So far i replaced the wheel bearings. Repacked the silencer

Jetting confirmed @ a 122 main and a 55 slow with the needle 2 clips from the top

After cleaning every little hole, passage way and jet in the carb the bike started first kick..... then the next day back to the same problem of not gettiing fuel ... any ideas??

if you are opening and closing the fuel petcock before and after starting /riding,,you might have issues there

mabey take it apart and inspect it / clean it

Buy the bigger 28mm carb, more power that's easier to use and you can get rebuild kits. Also boyesen reeds or rad valve, if you apply for their rider support program and throw my name(Robby Peterson) on the app some where and say I referred you you'll automatically be approved and get 30% off!!

And any thing that bolts to the frame is pretty much interchangeable mine is a 95 with all 2013 plastics

THANKS MAN!!!! I will for sure do that !!

The easiest way to do it is get. An IMS tank put you can make it work

The easiest way to do it is get. An IMS tank put you can make it work

Will the stock tank from a newer 85 or 100 fit? Also i need a new airbox the clamp on hers dosnt sit straight on the airboot to box connection ... whats the deal with that i bought a new clamp and same thing ... the newer boxes look llike they are much more open will it still work?

The stock tank fits but some of the mounting points are diff. An you may have to flip your coil over. As far as the air box I'm not sure if they are different but should interchange