New bike for mostly trail riding.

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I am new to dirt bikes and i am looking for one. I have a lot of trails near me and a old grass airport to do tons of riding on. I have had a quad for quite a while now so i know how to ride clutch but ive never ridden a dirtbike so much (Only a couple of times at friends house). I am selling the quad and will have about $5000 when it sells. I am 15 and i am 5'10" 155LBS. I was almost sold on a 2010 KX250f i saw with 10 hours in amazing condition for $3800 but then a friend told me i shouldnt get a kx if i am going to be doing trail riding i should get something like a ktm xc or something like that . I know i shouldnt be looking for such big bikes for my first dirtbike but i am younger and it will be hard for me to get another one and earn a lot of money that easy and i would probably get a new bike within a year anyway. What other bikes would you guys recomend for trails. I wouldnt want a bike to slow. All my friends all have 125 2 strokes and two of then have kx 250 2 strokes and i want to keep up with them. I was looking at ktm xc and they look pretty nice but if the kx will do the same in trails i would love to get it because of the amazing price.Also how hard do you guys think it will be for me to learn on a bigger bike like the kx250 or ktm 250 xc. I want to stay away from klx or drz or bikes ilke that. My main question is what bikes would you guys recomend for trail riding (sometimes technical) a little bit of road and field riding and maybe some track occasionaly i dont want a bike that dosent have too much performance like klx or drz. Does the kx handle trails well?

Any input will be greatly appreiciated.

I would also maybe think about getting a 125 but i dont know if those would be good for trails.

Edited by liampac70

The 125s aren't good on trails because they have no bottom end. Look for a ktm 200 exc/xc/xcw. Also check out any 250 two stroke.

Yamaha wr250r... It's 4 stroke, durable, and has the perfect amount of power for a beginner or experienced rider... Holds its value well. Can easily be made street legal. Electric/ and kick start... Believe me, as a beginner you will want a 4 stroke. Less mainframe vw required and no mixing gas... Can also be made into a supermoto easily

**Less maintenance required** damn auto correct...

YouTube mototrippin... He rides a wr250r on trails and street and everything... You will see how tough that thing is... Not to mention it runs 70mph no problem, and comes stock with speedo and headlight..

for your first bike, if it were me i'd get a 2 stroke. but thats just me...

A 200 would be a good option, but if you plan on getting good you may want to consider a bike you can "grow" into. WIth woods/trails, it really depends on what kind of riding you like to do. I ride an xr400 everywhere, singles, woods, rocks, sand, street, dirt and she never lets me down. A 2 stroke though, that would be a nice first bike, easy to maintain.

YouTube mototrippin... He rides a wr250r on trails and street and everything... You will see how tough that thing is... Not to mention it runs 70mph no problem, and comes stock with speedo and headlight..

Mototrippins bike is also quite well modified and he's a very good rider

Stock WR anything doesn't have enough power for me, it's still a fun bike, but not exciting.

Depending on how big of a quad it is, and how big of bikes you've ridden, you should be able to handle almost any bike, but I'd personally choose a 250 2 stroke, I've been down the 4 stroke route and I want out.

Yamaha wr250r... It's 4 stroke, durable, and has the perfect amount of power for a beginner or experienced rider... Holds its value well. Can easily be made street legal. Electric/ and kick start... Believe me, as a beginner you will want a 4 stroke. Less mainframe vw required and no mixing gas... Can also be made into a supermoto easily

Don't listen to this lol. I work at a shop and if you maintain a 4 stroke less meticulously than you would an equal 2 stroke, then you are going to have a rebuild about $1500-2000. 4 strokes require valve adjustments, oil changes, complicated rebuilds, timing issues and shit. believe me. You want a 2 stroke

I have seen a few people get priced out of the sport by their 4t blowing up. Valves breaking off, sticking into the cylinder, and smashing the head. Pistons getting wedged sideways. Con rods bashing holes through the cases. Con rods smashing into the tranny gears... Don't get one. They run pretty hot also which is bad when you are not going fast and letting air flow quickly over the radiators.

Go look at a schematic of a 4 stroke engine and then go look at a schematic for a 2 stroke engine. Then look at prices of parts. Then look at dyno charts. I am at the track 3 days a week and working at a shop 5 days per week. I do not know any serious woods riders who ride a 4 stroke.. unless of course they are forced to by people who are paying them to.

There is a reason that used 4 strokes are a lot cheaper than used 2 strokes with equal hours. People want to get rid of them before they blow the &%$#@! up.

4 strokes weigh a lot more. A 2011 sx250 weighs 206 lbs dry. a 2013 rmz250 weighs 240 lbs dry. Another bad thing about that extra weight is that it is located higher on the bike. The cylinder head protrudes higher in the frame which forces the 4 strokes to have the gas tank 100% on top of the frame. That means that they are top heavy which means they are less nimble, and therefore, less nimble in trees.

4 strokes also have much less capacity in the fuel tank. That is bad when you are trying to ride in the woods. Woods rides go on forever and you will run out of gas like 5 miles from your truck.

4 strokes are also loud as F. If anybody ever tries to tell you that 4 strokes are quieter, do not listen to them anymore. They know nothing about motocross, woods racing, desert, trials, or anything. They are mis-informed and are the same type of people who will tell you that 4 strokes are cheaper to own.

Also, people try to say that mixing gas is this HUGE hassle. It is not. You dump 16 ounces of oil into your 4.5 gallon gas can and you are done. It takes like maybe 45 seconds. It is absolutely not a hassle at all.

Have you considered going for something much cheaper for your first one, and then upgrading? You could probably find an 04-06 KDX200 for close to $2k. That would give you a proven trail bike with enough power to hang with the other guys and beginner friendly delivery. And if you decide to upgrade in a year, you sell it for the same price and still have your same budget, depending on how well you save money.

If this is your first bike then I think a 125 or 250 two stroke is your best bet. A lot of people say that the 125s don't have enough bottom end for the trails but if you are riding it right you shouldn't even be using the bottom, it is a two stroke rev that sucker! I ride a CR125 and it does just fine on the trails and is a blast. If you think the 125 has two much bog in the bottom you can always get an aftermarket pipe or flywheel weight to improve the lower end chugging. As for the 250 it definetly has more power but ,although not by a lot, it is heavier then the 125. A 125 two stroke is about as light and as nimble as it gets. Good luck.

what state are going to be riding in?

I'd agree with every about getting a 2 stroke. For your first bike, I'd get a 125. You are more than big enough for one. 2 strokes are easier to maintain and cheaper to fix when they do break down. If you aren't getting enough from the bottom end, you can get a FMF fatty pipe and a FMF shorty silencer to give you some more bottom end.

A 125 will be lighter and easier to throw around in the woods. I only ride trails and I've only ridden 2 strokes. I'd look for a 06+ YZ125. Go ahead and put some radiator braces, bark busters and a skid plate on and you have yourself a trail machine!

well there are the 250r's and the 250f's

the r's are the race versions they require the high maintenance and were built to keep up with 2 strokes (don't troll it)

the f's are the trail bikes and do NOT keep up 2 strokes but are still plenty powerful

but what do you mean by trails...

logging roads

single tracks

goat paths

wood paths

wide open dessert paths...

the riding place will mostly determine what you buy and yes I have seen 250 2 strokes on a tight trails it can be done, but I can also drive 65mph backwards down a highway, does not mean that's the best way of doing it.

any of those bikes you are looking at will work well.

also on the r's you CANNOT put off the maintenance so you need to decide that into the cost factor...

Kx250f pull the trigger. For your experience, weight height etc. Should be fine.

well there are the 250r's and the 250f's

the r's are the race versions they require the high maintenance and were built to keep up with 2 strokes (don't troll it)

the f's are the trail bikes and do NOT keep up 2 strokes but are still plenty powerful

but what do you mean by trails...

logging roads

single tracks

goat paths

wood paths

wide open dessert paths...

the riding place will mostly determine what you buy and yes I have seen 250 2 strokes on a tight trails it can be done, but I can also drive 65mph backwards down a highway, does not mean that's the best way of doing it.

any of those bikes you are looking at will work well.

also on the r's you CANNOT put off the maintenance so you need to decide that into the cost factor...

Thanks for the catalog of "trails", for this area I would replace "goat trails" with "Donkey trails". There are several herds left over from the gold mining days and when they did "burro races" around the Big Bear Valley up til the late 70's. These Fers make the perfect trails! as so long as you don't mind a little poo on the trails! :D