Sign in to follow this  

04 vs 07-09 kx250f

So after reading all the scary reviews about the 04s and all the reliability issues, i've decided its time for a newer bike. I'm looking at 2007-2009 kx250fs, (maybe rmz's too), I've read the reviews, but the magazine reviews are contradictory.

If you've had or have a 07-09 what was it all about? Good, bad, ugly! I'm especially interested in 07 kxfs Because alot of people had good things to say about them, and its more to my budget. Thanks guys.

In 09 the kx was basically all new. The 06-08 are pretty close but the 09 is completely different.

In 09 the kx was basically all new. The 06-08 are pretty close but the 09 is completely different.

From my research, there was a big difference between the 06 and 07, a little difference between 07 and 08 and a new model for 09. But would i want a completely new design? Wouldn't that kill some reliabilty?

Awesome in every way, but you sold it...?

because it was not quite as awesome as the '12 lol

Edited by fivepointnine

Haha, i follow. A Lucky man, you are. :)

I rode the 07 for over 3 years though, it was a very very reliable and confidence inspiring bike, I was doing jumps in the first weekend on it I never would have though about doing in any previous bike.

had an 07, then moved onto an 11, then a 12 setup. 07 will ride more like a couch then a moto bike. They were good in the day but the 09+ frame/chassis is far superior to the 06-08 setup. The 09/10 motors (even though they are carbed) still seem to haul the mail compared to an 06-08 motor. Then the 11 with a lot of bottom and no upper mid range and a non existant top end, to the 12 which pulls from bottom all the way to the moon.

Ok thanks. Currently looking at an 08 and 3 09s. All relatively same price. 08 has pipe, protaper bars, asv levers, and some engine work. 09s are stock.

between those 3 just get the one in the best shape. Personally I would look for one with a fresh rebuild/head rebuild with receipts you wont have anything to worry about then.

• Like 1

I had a 2007 back in the day. Put over 60 hard hours on it with no issues at all.

Yea, i always check how many hours on anything i buy.

Not trying to be a smart butt, but 60 hrs isn't much at all unless you ride the guts out of rev limiter, or don't maintain a bike.

Yea, i always check how many hours on anything i buy.

Not trying to be a smart butt, but 60 hrs isn't much at all unless you ride the guts out of rev limiter, or don't maintain a bike.

I just was trying to say that I had no issues, as in everytime I checked the valves they were in spec.