Sign in to follow this  

Check your clickers

Ok got a chance to ride again since getting it new back in October, so this was my 3 time on the beta, before riding I checked the clickers to see if they were in the stock settings (never checked before) and they were way off.

The cornering was night and day difference and soaked up junk better! I really like this bike , shame on me for not catching this sooner. I was able to keep up with everyone! That's a huge step for me:)

Now if I could just get in shape...ugh

• Like 1

Ok got a chance to ride again since getting it new back in October, so this was my 3 time on the beta, before riding I checked the clickers to see if they were in the stock settings (never checked before) and they were way off.

The cornering was night and day difference and soaked up junk better! I really like this bike , shame on me for not catching this sooner. I was able to keep up with everyone! That's a huge step for me:)

Now if I could just get in shape...ugh

Here is a cut and pasted write up from my little half day session tuning my suspension.

Please excuse my terminology. The bottom line are the final numbers:

Quote from ballisticexchris on January 25, 2013

So last week I just finished up an oil change, respring, and sag adjustment on my 520RS with the 45mm forks.

I weigh in at about 190 in underwear and I'm a slow "C" rider. I changed out my springs to a .50 front and 5.6 rear. The forks are up to the second line flush with triple clamps. Rear sag is set at 25mm static and 90mm race sag in street clothes. It's best to use the Racetech guidelines for setting sag. Clickers are set at stock for now.

For fork oil change just go by the manual here:

http://www.americanbeta.com/sites/default/files/pdf/2012Support/Other/Marzocchi%2045-50mm%20open%20cartridge%20shiver.pdf

One thing about the forks is I suggest to use the Race Tech oil. Super slippery! I drained and flushed the forks with the cheap Honda oil. I set my oil level at 100mm. That comes out to just about 600cc per fork.

While not as good as a "Dave Turner" revalve, I'm very pleased with the results of a simple oil change, respring and sag adjustment. The stock suspension works pretty darn good for my riding style. With the forks up in the triple clamp and my sag setting, My Beta turns on a dime and is very planted on the trail.

Just for the heck of it, I will be playing with the clickers to learn more and dial it in further.

So here is the second installment of suspension tuning. As per Dave's recommendation I set the sag at 105mm race (came out to 35mm static). All clicker numbers are from fully closed. Tire Pressure 14psi rear/12psi front. tires are brand new Kenda Trackmasters.

Keep in mind this is with a bike that is FULLY loaded down with extra fuel and bagged up for adventure touring. I'm a "C" rider who wishes he could go fast LOL!

Tuning tools and water for lunch:

100_3401_zps1fa68124.jpg

Me tuning:

100_3408_zpsf23be959.jpg

The preload adjuster is worth its weight in gold! No more hammering preload rings. I love it.

http://shop.getdirtydirtbikes.com/Factory-Shock-Preload-Adjuster-AB-10276.htm

First ride was a warmup with 105 sag and clickers at factory settings. I tested one circuit at a time/3 clicks at a time. I will say that the rebound was very difficult to get right. Especially on the shock! When adjusting, I concentrated on the forks first then the shock.

Lots of testing in rocks, whoops, sand, rocky sandy hills etc. I even slammed a few ditches as fast as I would dare to test the "G" out capabilities.

Too loose compression (13) in the forks caused a springy feel and jolted my arms. Too much rebound (7) was downright scary! Bike did not feel planted and frond end wanted to wash out.

I ended up very pleased with 9 C/10 R

Now to the shock. Stock HSC and LSC is all the way out from the factory. I started out from the middle range HSC 10/LSC 15. Bike was kicking hard at speed. HSC 13/LSC 15 still kicking!

Moved on to rebound. Tightened her up to 18 clicks. Oh yeah Baby! Rode my bike the rest of the afternoon today and had a blast!! It took everything I had the guts to try.

Forks 9 C/10 R, shock 13 HSC/18 LSC/18 R is what I ended up with

Heck I even did my best imitation of a seat bounce over a pucker bush!

100_3421_zps220bbd85.jpg

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Chris

Chris. Is fully closed clockwise or counter-clockwise. I know it says in the manual but I dont trust the direct Italian/English translation.

Have you guys installed bleeders on the forks? I'm surprised they aren't stock... I still have to get some.

I resprang front and rear then set sag.

I then spent three hours clicking away to only end up exactly on factory settings. They have these suspensions dialed in for most apllications right from italy. Good stuff. Good write up Chris!

• Like 1

Chris. Is fully closed clockwise or counter-clockwise. I know it says in the manual but I dont trust the direct Italian/English translation.

Clockwise. Don't pay attention to my terminology "loose"/"hard". The final numbers are what I came up with from the fully closed position. The main thing is to have a notepad and write down every adjustment you do.

Have you guys installed bleeders on the forks? I'm surprised they aren't stock... I still have to get some.

I have them on mine. Not stock though...

Nice post, will use this as a reference as I changed the oils in my suspension. I went light with 2.5 weigh oil all around, and had Dave do the rear with my light oil as well. To much snow up here to try it. I Hope I like it.

Many times bleeders leak or after a crash snap off. Plus it's an added cost for OEM's. Remember we all want a less expensive bike!