xr 650l air screw

Hi all I am a newbe and i am in need of some help I have a 2007 xr650l I just bought the bike with broken piston skirt tore it down got all the piston out of the base Ect so I had local shop hone and check Cly said it was in Spec so I put a Fresh Wisco piston in Close to stock Comp dont remeber Number but not high at all, took carb apart found it was all stock so I did daves carb mods, stock header welds ground,white bros 1/2 system,air box snorkel removed, UNI Air Filter, I got my carb jets from Jets r Us I got the cheaper after market ones, I have put 80 Miles on the bike and it has a dead spot/Bog right off idle, but If I hit the choke and trottle and the same time the bog/dead spot is gone and bike takes off great, I have 55 Pilot and 160 Main and a .025 shim under the needle Now my problem is that I am trying to make sure I have the right pilot jet I warm the bike all the way up and I can turn the air screw all the way in and out and my idle does not change at all I have done a lot of reading but I am not at all that good with carbs any help?

If you can turn the fuel screw in all the way and no change in idle then you have something plugged in the carb......there are small holes just in front of the throttle plates

..take the carb apart and run a fine wire down those holes into the carb and then hit them with carb cleaner then compressed air...try this first...

You are not getting enough fuel..it should die when screwed in fully,,and should run best at 2 to 2 1/2 turns out...

There is also a possibility those cheap jets are the problem,,,i would only buy OE Keihin jets,,part of the reason is not all jets flow the same,,a Keihin 55 pilot may

flow more than

Edited by brianhare

i cleaned the carb when i did daves mods but I will do it again to be sure I also mad sure the choke plunger was seated all the way also I guess I could buy the the OEM jets if It comes down to it thanks for the help.

I think you are right Brian took the carb back off which was clean and the needel does not seat in the after market jet the same as my OEM one does I removed so I think it is by passing the slow jet and running off the main jet only. what do you think? I will order some OEM jets and try it all over again but it sure did not run to bad for running off of the Main Jet only other than a small Bog right off idel.

All i know at this point is you have aftermarket jets of unknown quality,,,get OE jets then if needed we at least have a known baseline to start

trouble shooting.......gotta start there......i`d start with a 55 pilot and nothing bigger than a 158 main........

B

Hi all I am a newbe and i am in need of some help I have a 2007 xr650l I just bought the bike with broken piston skirt tore it down got all the piston out of the base Ect so I had local shop hone and check Cly said it was in Spec so I put a Fresh Wisco piston in Close to stock Comp dont remeber Number but not high at all, took carb apart found it was all stock so I did daves carb mods, stock header welds ground,white bros 1/2 system,air box snorkel removed, UNI Air Filter, I got my carb jets from Jets r Us I got the cheaper after market ones, I have put 80 Miles on the bike and it has a dead spot/Bog right off idle, but If I hit the choke and trottle and the same time the bog/dead spot is gone and bike takes off great, I have 55 Pilot and 160 Main and a .025 shim under the needle Now my problem is that I am trying to make sure I have the right pilot jet I warm the bike all the way up and I can turn the air screw all the way in and out and my idle does not change at all I have done a lot of reading but I am not at all that good with carbs any help?

What part of NY?

North Syracuse NY area what makes you ask?

A. If you were local and needed help, i copuld lend you a hand

B. Always looking for folks up for a ride.

Edited by XR650L_Dave

sounds great when I get my pigs carb sortted out I will drop you a line. Well I played around some more with my carb today I took out the aftermarket jets and put the OEM Jets (152/50s stock ones) back in and I still can not get the idle to change much at all, I can screw the Air screw all the way in and back it all the way out with the bike warmed up and the idel does go up and down but not by much, you have to realy listen to it, what kind of a change am I listing for? If I screw it all the way in or out should the bike stall out or what?

I would think that if your on the gas and choke at the same time and she doesn't bog, she is in need of more fuel??

55/158 is the baseline for stock exhaust, 55/160 or 58/160 seems to work for an aftermarket exhaust.

If the screw has ne effect, make sure it didn't break off, make sure the carb is seated in the boots, and make sure the slider for the choke (enrichment circuit) isn't hanging up and not closing off that circuit.

well dave I took your word on the jets put my after market 58/160 jets in and took out the .025 washer and added a .030 washer in its place under the needle and air screw at 3 turns out. the bog/dead spot is gone bike runs good I will play more with it when the temps are closer to norm out little cold today for jetting. Dave what are you running for a washer/Shim under your needle or are you running a Adjustable after market needle?

Edited by suzuki1liter

My washer is 020 to 025, not really sure. Just shoved something in there and called it good.

I might be a little rich.