Starter clutch/Starter question

I rode the Arkansas 500 this weekend. Twice my bike failed to start. I had 14.4 volts on the meter, I could get the starter to click but not turn over. If I rocked the bike whlie in gear it would then start. Also, it sounded as if the starter clutch was dragging as the bike sparked to life. What to look for? I plan to pull the starter clutch tomorrow and inspect it. What else should I be inspecting?

I rode the Arkansas 500 this weekend. Twice my bike failed to start. I had 14.4 volts on the meter, I could get the starter to click but not turn over. If I rocked the bike whlie in gear it would then start. Also, it sounded as if the starter clutch was dragging as the bike sparked to life. What to look for? I plan to pull the starter clutch tomorrow and inspect it. What else should I be inspecting?

The starter may have dirt or debris in it, may have a bad sector causing a dead spot.... soi pull the starter down as well.

Check voltage at the starter side of the relay, make sure the starter relay is not damaged, burned contacts ect, causing low voltage at the starter. Check the starter cable for continuity, corrosion, loose connections.

Same for the main ground cable to the case from the battery.

Well I found the problem. As Eric suspected it was a loose connection at the starter. Of course I didn't find it until after I had pulled the starter clutch. The connection was just loose enough to be not making contact full time. I went ahead and removed it and the corrosion beneath it. All is good now. Thanks you guys. As usual this forum rocks.