Broken Tibia Recovery Time

So a month ago while doing some offroad riding as training for the havasu round of WORCS i took an ill-fated "last ride" of the day that resulted in me crashing and breaking my tibia.

I didnt break the Fibula and the break on my tibia was straight across below my knee brace so it was a clean break.

I had a metal rod and two screws put in two days after the crash. Its now been a month and a few days and ive been doing physical therapy twice a week the last two weeks.

Obviously i cant wait to get back to riding.. what im wondering is how long you guys think i should take before i try it. Doctors all give me different numbers and im sure lots of TTers are experts on my injury from doing it themselves.

Id really appreciate any info on how long you think it will take me to get back and what i can do to speed up the process.

As of right now i can almost walk normal on it for short periods of time.

Thanks for the help

sounds like you where lucky , the best thing you can do to speed up the healing is ride an exercise bike with little to no tension , this keeps the blood flowing though the muscle and the area and helps with healing . 45-60 min 2 times a day , the worst thing you can do it sit on the sofa and watch tv it will never heal

Yeah , keep working your muscles and joints , I regret not doing this when I broke my leg .

if you have plate and screws at your age you should be healing fairly quick. at 4 weeks you could get back to riding, but i would give it a few more weeks before you hit the race track. its a matter of how bad you want to get back to racing. good luck

Don't ask dirt bikers for medical advice. Listen to your ortho. When he sees enough calcification at the break, he'll clear you to ride.

Broke mine in 3 places, Full leg cast for 4 weeks then a walking cast for 4 weeks. I was back to riding pretty fast after that. Had more pain in my ankle from not flexing it for 2 months. Didnt get any surgery. So im guessing your recovery time should be faster??

So a month ago while doing some offroad riding as training for the havasu round of WORCS i took an ill-fated "last ride" of the day that resulted in me crashing and breaking my tibia.

I didnt break the Fibula and the break on my tibia was straight across below my knee brace so it was a clean break.

I had a metal rod and two screws put in two days after the crash. Its now been a month and a few days and ive been doing physical therapy twice a week the last two weeks.

Obviously i cant wait to get back to riding.. what im wondering is how long you guys think i should take before i try it. Doctors all give me different numbers and im sure lots of TTers are experts on my injury from doing it themselves.

Id really appreciate any info on how long you think it will take me to get back and what i can do to speed up the process.

As of right now i can almost walk normal on it for short periods of time.

Thanks for the help

Everyone is different bro. You should do as much as you can as far as rehabilitation is concerned. In October of 2011, I compounded

my tibia, had the rod and screws put in, and I'm still not 100%. I'm definitely getting better. Unfortunately my surgeon was way too

optomistic.

It doesn't sound like yours was as bad as mine, though. Just listen to your doctor and don't push too hard on the bike. I can tell you

one thing is for sure, my doctor told me I would never feel that rod in my tibia. That was the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. My

break was high up on the tibia and the rod went the full lenght of my bone. I could feel that rod in the lower portion of my tibia when

I would do anything physical. I could also feel the screws up high and down low.

I started riding again and tried to keep my pace at about 50-60% just to be safe, but one day at the track I snagged my foot in a rut

and torqued it awkwardly. Holy crap, let me tell you, I thought I re-broke my leg.

Luckily nothing was broken, just stressed. But I was back on crutches for 2 months and walking with my signature pimp limp for another

2 months.

I guess what I'm trying to say is listen to your body. Rehab, rehab, and do more rehab. Once that tibia is healed up, push your doctor to get it

removed (or he may want to leave it in for life).

All the best luck.

Been doing the bike at PT as well as a leg press. Doing just alot of stretches and stuff now and starting on my own exercise bike at home in a few days. Also ill be having the rod taken out in 7 months when it is fully healed this is what my ortho thought was best. Im hoping to hop on the bike and cruise around early june. That will be almost 3 months

Broke my tibia in 2004 at a downhill mountain bike park in Lake Tahoe.

Time to repair:

Bone 8 weeks

Soft tissue... thrashed to this day

I can still feel exactly where is broke when i go snow shoeing/hiking with the wife.

It'll always be broken, its just a matter of how you learn how to use your "new leg"

All my injuries have never healed 100%

I broke both my tibia and fibula in both legs at the same time about 10 weeks ago. Have a plate and screws in one leg and have been doing PT workouts about the same as you. My doc said I can get back on the bike if I was going to ride easily but I have a hard time riding easily. :D

You sound like you shouldnt be too far off, just keep up with the PT, that helped me the best.

Edited by TMoto917

Everyone is different bro. You should do as much as you can as far as rehabilitation is concerned. In October of 2011, I compounded

my tibia, had the rod and screws put in, and I'm still not 100%. I'm definitely getting better. Unfortunately my surgeon was way too

optomistic.

It doesn't sound like yours was as bad as mine, though. Just listen to your doctor and don't push too hard on the bike. I can tell you

one thing is for sure, my doctor told me I would never feel that rod in my tibia. That was the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. My

break was high up on the tibia and the rod went the full lenght of my bone. I could feel that rod in the lower portion of my tibia when

I would do anything physical. I could also feel the screws up high and down low.

I started riding again and tried to keep my pace at about 50-60% just to be safe, but one day at the track I snagged my foot in a rut

and torqued it awkwardly. Holy crap, let me tell you, I thought I re-broke my leg.

Luckily nothing was broken, just stressed. But I was back on crutches for 2 months and walking with my signature pimp limp for another

2 months.

I guess what I'm trying to say is listen to your body. Rehab, rehab, and do more rehab. Once that tibia is healed up, push your doctor to get it

removed (or he may want to leave it in for life).

All the best luck.

that shit sounded painful lol

btw that track looks dope AF