Sign in to follow this  

MRD pipe, any problems?

To be more specific:

I work at a Suzuki dealership. I have customer who recently bought a new SM, who installed (himself) an MRD exhaust. Last week he came in with the rear shock shaft seal leaking. Our mechanic suggested that it could be from the MRD exhaust being so close to the shock resevoir that it overheated the shock/shock oil, causing expansion and resulting in the seal failing.

Has there been any reports of this type of problem with the MRD or other exhausts? I personally don't buy it, and we are replacing the shock for him under warranty. But if that is the cause, I'd like to know about it and be prepared. Thanks in advance.

Mine is bit leaky but never have problem like that, yes the pipe have less clearance to the shock/frame but shouldn't cause that; think about it if that is the problem then showa shock won't be installed on any air cooled bike

I have done 20,000km on a highly modified 2009 SM (60 hp) running the SSW/MRD pipe .....sure the pipe runs close to the rear spring, but has cause no issues with the integrity of the shock absorber body/reservoir ....

Same for me , over 20,000kms with the MRD/Ssw and no problems at all and mine was one of the first pipes which where build back in Jan '09 .

There's little space between frame motor and rear spring like Yoshi TRC but hadn't any issue with this over these years .

the MRD exhaust being so close to the shock resevoir that it overheated the shock/shock oil, causing expansion and resulting in the seal failing.

Maybe your mechanic should know: Isn't one of the purposes of the reservoir to allow for expansion and to increase oil capacity to prevent overheating?