Sign in to follow this  

Bridgestone 404

My dad convinced me this was the best tire in intermediate conditions. He was right about the m40 back in the day, but never liked dunlops. I was a big 752 fan, does the 404 compete?

My dad convinced me this was the best tire in intermediate conditions. He was right about the m40 back in the day, but never liked dunlops. I was a big 752 fan, does the 404 compete?

My suspension guy told me that the dunlops work really well while new but don't hook up as well after starting to wear. he said that the bridgestone, Michelin, and Pirelli tires hold their traction better while wearing. I am going to go with the 403 front and 404 rear when my dunlops wear out just to test his theory. I would bet that the 404 rear is a good tire.

Its ricky charmicheals tire, im sure its good. You are correct though i have a horribly worn michlin s12 i believe, that still gets decent traction and its missing a lot of nobs

After running Dunlops 756's for over 10 yrs. I just picked up a combo of 403/404 last week but haven't mounted them yet. I'll see how they run in comparison.

404 = :)

403 = :(

just my opinion

What didn't you like about the 403 ? My local suspension tuner recomended it, he uses that combo as do some locals for mx. He said it's a good intermediate tire that has a good grip for our local tracks.

404 = :)

403 = :(

just my opinion

I've been reading a lot of reviews lately looking for new tires to try. Seems guys like 403/404 for groomed tracks, a lot of guys prefer the 203/404 combo, especially for less than perfect track or offroad. I used D756 for a long time, and Mich MS3 more recently, the MS3 is a good Intermediate tire too.

What didn't you like about the 403 ? My local suspension tuner recomended it, he uses that combo as do some locals for mx. He said it's a good intermediate tire that has a good grip for our local tracks.

i think the 403 is simply a love it or hate it type of tire. i see praise up and down the boards for this tire, and then 50% through the thread, there is a complete 180 and the hatred starts, not much in between seems like.

for me, it simply made the front end feel very awkward. i never really felt comfortable with that tire. low pressures, high pressures, just didnt work for me. felt like riding on a balloon, no real track feel.

thats not to say it wont work for you. in fact the reason i tried the tire was due to all the praise i read about it so obviously there are people out there that like it.

for me, ive found a couple front tires i feel very comfortable with (mich ms3/mh3. pirelli mxms is a new one i gave a shot to and really like) and i try to stick with them. less variables, predictable performance. i would buy a 404 rear again.

Edited by mynewcr250

Ive already bought the rear, will be here today. Im mostly a sand rider but the problem for me is that its either deep sand or hard clay. That forces me into and intermediate tire which usually im a dunlop guy but the old man (im 33 and he treats me like im 13) talked me into this tire. That perrelli, what was your take on that? Was it durable? Those are some nice tires they have, some look a bit exotic though

i think the 403 is simply a love it or hate it type of tire. i see praise up and down the boards for this tire, and then 50% through the thread, there is a complete 180 and the hatred starts, not much in between seems like.

for me, it simply made the front end feel very awkward. i never really felt comfortable with that tire. low pressures, high pressures, just didnt work for me. felt like riding on a balloon, no real track feel.

thats not to say it wont work for you. in fact the reason i tried the tire was due to all the praise i read about it so obviously there are people out there that like it.

for me, ive found a couple front tires i feel very comfortable with (mich ms3/mh3. pirelli mxms is a new one i gave a shot to and really like) and i try to stick with them. less variables, predictable performance. i would buy a 404 rear again.

Based on the reviews I read & the tuners recomendation I wanted to give the combo a try. As long as it doesn't feel like an oem 742FA I've had on a couple of 450's bought. That tire never felt planted & is one of the worst I've ran. Thanks for the feed back.

Ive already bought the rear, will be here today. Im mostly a sand rider but the problem for me is that its either deep sand or hard clay. That forces me into and intermediate tire which usually im a dunlop guy but the old man (im 33 and he treats me like im 13) talked me into this tire. That perrelli, what was your take on that? Was it durable? Those are some nice tires they have, some look a bit exotic though

What size did you order? Rocky Mtn. only had a 100x90x19 when I ordered mine. I still have not put it on yet.

Sounds like the dirt we have around here. The Dunlop MX31 front tire is what all the Dunlop guy run here. The MX51 front sucks on everything but hardpack.

I actually really like the 403 in most conditions. It feels stable but when I put it on for the first time I noticed I can get a little headshake with it occasionally. It feels much lighter than the other front tires I have used so that might be why. I tightened the steering stem nut a little and dropped the forks a few mm's and the problem was solved.

I hated the MX51 front even on hardpack. It always felt like it was going to wash out right before it grabbed. It only actually washed out on me once but the sensation was unnerving and I took it off after about 3 rides. I do like the rear though, it is my back up rear if my local shop doesnt have the 404 in stock.

My front is the michilin match to the m12 rear, it has washed a few times which made me wash the ground with my butt. I just wish the old dunlop 752s were still made, that tire lasted until you were sick of looking at it and did good everywhere

Kenda washougal is best. ThAts my two cents. The front on my bike looks toast, but ill probably still race with it next weekend. Wears forever, and hooks everywhere. I ride atleast once a week, and race atleast once a month. Have had the same front tire since last november.