Sign in to follow this  

Spoiled by yamaha

So i WAS. Yami guy for years, im a Vet B rider on a good day, 175 lbs. although i had my old bikes done by ENZO it didnt feel as an emergency becuase my YZFs had great stock feeling.

My New 2013 KTM 350 sxf is a great overall bike, but these forks are HARSH. , i cannot send them out til after summer so i need to soften that intitial hit in the front. Its unbelievably different than the Yami in that respect.........

Suggestions besides just softening compression on clickers please..

Thanks

Any post any how to video links on what i can do

do you only use it for mx? if so you will need to drop a couple of spring rates mainly on the front but do you have a race/static sag numbers for the rear?

Edited by yamaha837

The springs fit perfectly for a 80 kg/ 175 lbs MX Rider. If you ride woods you may drop a rate, but this wont solve your problem.

I just have the 450 and 250 stacks for the 13 KTMs but I think the 350 wont be much different.

Actually I copied these stacks with a smaller base clamp for a SXF 350 11 and the rider is quite happy.

More input data are needed for proper advise.

Type of riding, where do you notice the harshness, terrain and so on...

Sorry to hear your 350 fork is giving you trouble.

A real solution is going to require internal modifications; valving changes at a minimum. Changes like springs and oil level can make the fork softer but won't really change the overall ride character. If you are able to do the work yourself, you might try Vietze's suggestion as an intermediate fix.

The us 350 seems very harsh and the euro one much less harsh so I wonder if the stacks are very different

What is harsh about them? Mistroke? I found that the 350 was mainly harsh on choppy stuff. Id play with the rebound try to speed it up and also try going stiffer on compression to bring it higher in the stroke. Some people are taking out 20cc of oil and that helps.

A little off topic but I have been worried about going to a Ktm 300 (open chamber) from yamaha's suspension, even my 11' Yz 450 was a pleasure to ride in the technical endure stuff, just too heavy but a pleasure to ride,

I still wonder if I can get the susp on a 12' 300 xc-w close to the yamaha's

The WP OC forks are pretty good for woods.

However the EXCs have a bit of a stiff basevalve for tight, technical trial-like woods riding.

For some reason i didnt realize you were talking about wp oc. All of the 530/525s that i have ridden all were oc and thats my only experience. But it has always been better than wp tc forks offroad. I wouldnt worry because ktm has been winning hard enduro for years and thats something they def k ow what their doing

This thread is about the TC fork in the 350 sxf but stu asked something about the OC fork. So I responded to that.

Do you really think KTM won that much offroad events because they know how to set up OC forks?!

A properly tuned CC fork is also nice for woods riding. Its not the concept, its the setup which makes the fork good.

If you never liked a CC fork for offroad riding, the setup just wasnt altered for you.

Ive had both and oc forks "seem" to be more plush on rocks and roots. Now i assume thats because tc forks have to have the inner chamber pressurized. That doesnt mean a tc cant be as good i was refering stock for stock.

Edited by farfromhome63

The us 350 seems very harsh and the euro one much less harsh so I wonder if the stacks are very different

According to KTM, they are totally different stacks, springs and oil height.

My New 2013 KTM 350 sxf is a great overall bike, but these forks are HARSH. , i cannot send them out til after summer so i need to soften that intitial hit in the front. Its unbelievably different than the Yami in that respect.........

Yea, the stock CC WP forks do need a bit of work. Oil height is by far the first thing, they do tend to have too much oil in them. Removing oil will change the compressed air volume a tiny bit and that generally is the quickest/easiest way to reduce harshness. A good way to define oil level is to throw a zip tie on the bottom fork tube and see how much travel you're using. Then you can slowly reduce oil level 10cc's at a time, until fully bottoming equates to 10mm of exposed chrome above the axel clamps.

I've run the CC WP forks down to 340cc's (stock is 380 or 390 depending on the year).

So start experimenting with oil height, 10cc's at a time and I bet you'll feel a huge difference.