2002 RM 250 Mods

Hey guys,

I recently picked up an 02 RM 250 which is going to be used purely as a bush basher.

I'm going to put a Wiseco piston in, go down a tooth on the front and put on a pipe.

I've been looking for an FMF Gnarly pipe, I had a look on their website and it makes no mention of the Gnarly for 2002, yet I've seen people talking about having them on their 02's?

I'll also be in the market for an expansion chamber protector and radiator guards. Any ideas?

Thanks

FMF does make a Gnarly pipe for a '02 RM250, look on eBay or just have your local dealership order one. I never ran a pipe protector or radiator guards, seems like just about any guard that would work on a newer RM250 with a Gnarly pipe would fit, radiator guards can be had from Works Connection as well as a skid plate.

I also just picked up a 02 RM 250 for my son. We put the FMF Fatty on it with a vforce reed and took it up one tooth in the back. It has unbelievable grunt. I am amazed on how it gets in the power band after lugging it on rocks and what not. The gnarley just destroys too much of the top end for my son and I. Try works connection for radiator guards. And for some protection on the expansion I wouldn't worry about it unless you go down a lot in rocks otherwise they are built pretty tough. Especially the gnarley. It's made up of thicker steel. Look for a skid plate too. I am more worried about damaging the case then denting my pipe. Have fun

FMF does make a Gnarly pipe for a '02 RM250, look on eBay or just have your local dealership order one. I never ran a pipe protector or radiator guards, seems like just about any guard that would work on a newer RM250 with a Gnarly pipe would fit, radiator guards can be had from Works Connection as well as a skid plate.

I'll check out the Works radiator guards, I'll probably get a B&B skid plate. Luckily enough I work at my local dealer. I got in touch with the FMF importer for Australia and they said they have none in stock with a 6-10 week wait :(

I also just picked up a 02 RM 250 for my son. We put the FMF Fatty on it with a vforce reed and took it up one tooth in the back. It has unbelievable grunt. I am amazed on how it gets in the power band after lugging it on rocks and what not. The gnarley just destroys too much of the top end for my son and I. Try works connection for radiator guards. And for some protection on the expansion I wouldn't worry about it unless you go down a lot in rocks otherwise they are built pretty tough. Especially the gnarley. It's made up of thicker steel. Look for a skid plate too. I am more worried about damaging the case then denting my pipe. Have fun

Thanks for the info! Did you try it with the Gnarly? I'm glad to hear the Fatty is a viable option. I take her out on her maiden voyage this weekend so it will be interesting considering I've never ridden a 250 2 stroke and came from a DR-Z400!

I've tried the gnarley on my 06 CR 250 and hated it. It was great for hill climbing. Because it had the extra bottom end but it had no pull up top and it felt like I was shifting gears too much. And I do a lot of tight trails and some fire roads. I came off of a 02 XR 650R to a 250. (Now I have CR 500). And it was like relearning how to ride all over again. They are so light and more flick able. I had no idea what a power band was. I had detuned the carb. And added a couple teeth in the back. Then when I got a hang of it I set everything back to stock and started to add performance to it. Now I'm a die hard 2 fast stroker

Thanks for the help! The guy at the shop said I should run 50:1 fuel ratio. That seems a little high? What do you guys run?

Thanks for the help! The guy at the shop said I should run 50:1 fuel ratio. That seems a little high? What do you guys run?

50:1 is fine with a high quality oil designed for 2 strokes. I currently run 40:1 as that is what I have been jetting for, but plenty of guys I ride with run 50:1 and their top ends look great upon inspection. Oil has improved a ton over the years.

As to the Gnarly, I now have an SST, Fatty and a Gnarly. Pros and cons to each, however I will say one thing, while the Gnarly does wind up faster in the mid range and you do give up a little on top, I am learning that many of the reports of "I got a gnarly and hated it, it killed all the top end" is often because guys threw a gnarly on their bike and didn't jet for it. As I have played with jetting for the Gnarly, I am finding good gains on bottom and mid, and not nearly so much loss on top as I initially had.