Clutch Problem PLEASE HELP

Bike: 2003 YZ250R

The Problem: I have recently decided to switch back to a regular clutch from the P.O.S. Rekluse Z-start Pro and i have not been able to get the regular clutch to work right. This is my first clutch i'm doing myself, and the first time I put it back together, i forgot to take off the spacer on the lifter. After fixing this spode mistake, it solved about half my problems (yes i replaced the springs a seccond time). I re-assembled the clutch properly now my lever is limp. Upon furthur inspection, it seems that a part is missing somewhere because there is too much space between the lifter and the pressure plate thus causing the lever to be limp. So... I know that there is no ball bearing at the end of the push rod, the push rod is not bent, the cable is plenty long, the lifter is the correct part, the springs are up to spec, there is the proper ammount of friction and steel plates (starting with a friction, ending with a friction), and I never went farther than the clutch boss in terms of diss-assembly. I am really trying to make the Eagle Bay trail ride on the 28th so if anyone has any ideas i'd really appreciate it. Maybe there's something i'm missing in terms of conversion or some obscure detail that i'm missing but i didnt end up with any exra parts so in all honesty i'm pretty dry in terms of ideas and i just want to ride the damn thing already!!

The cable could be too long. Did you use 8 friction and 7 clutch plates?

Yes i used the correct number of plates, and i may not have explained that portion very well; i took off the right cover (this is where the lever for the push rod is; next to the magneto) i am able to take my finger and freely move the lever that is connected to the pushrod. In addition, I forgot to mension that I torqued everything down to the specified values in the manual

i am able to take my finger and freely move the lever that is connected to the pushrod.

Are you able to continue moving this arm clockwise, or does it eventually stop and become hard to push with just a finger (ie when it starts trying to engage the clutch).

If so, at this point, remove top circlip, lift off arm and put the arm back on in accordance with the position described in the manual. Reattach clutch cable, all should be working.

What I described above can be found in the manual I'm fairly sure

Are you able to continue moving this arm clockwise, or does it eventually stop and become hard to push with just a finger (ie when it starts trying to engage the clutch).

If so, at this point, remove top circlip, lift off arm and put the arm back on in accordance with the position described in the manual. Reattach clutch cable, all should be working.

What I described above can be found in the manual I'm fairly sure

Just to be clear, we are refering to the lever on the left side of the bike (if sitting on it) the lever is directly to the right of the magneto. If I put my finger on the lever and push it up from the 'rest' position, it moves up freely until the lever stops. There is NO resistance when doing this. If I look at the pressure plate while the lever is pushed up, it appears that the lifter is not making contact with the pressure plate, therefore, the clutch will not engage. In order to make the lever return to its 'rest' position I must put my finger through the pressure plate and physically push on the lifter. Could it be that the Rekluse required a shorter push-rod?

Edited by Sam_Williams