Sign in to follow this  

What' in your pack?

Looking for 'short-cut's to carrying so much weight in my tool pack and Hydro back-pack.

Here is a conglomeration of what everybody I've polled says they carry.

The goal is to increase functionality while decreasing weight.

Suggestiions?

So far, the Motion Pro open-ended wrenches/tire spoons are the only 'double duty' and lightweight tools I own.

* is what I have in my pack now

Leatherman charge

*6" cresent

6" channel lock

4" needle nose visegrip

4" visegrip

8-10-12 T handle

*5 min JB weld

Emery cloth/ alcohol prep pad

*3 feet safety wire

3 feet electric wire

6 in one screwdriver

*Various zip ties

*Set of 3 Motion Pro T-6 levers (22,32,12/13MM/ double as tire spoons)

*Thin 21" tube

*Inflator with 6 Co2 carts

20 ft rope

Plug wrench

*3x tire irons (Motion Pro Al) (see above)

*Tire pressure gauge

Bicycle pump (in camel bak)

*electrical tape

*small co2 inflater

needle nose (included in leatherman if applicable)

*first aid kit

Snake bite kit

cell phone

needle nose vice grips

Kershaw flip knife (included in leatherman if applicable)

Small roll of duct tape

*Large 3' zip ties

Small bottle of slime

*Siphon hose

*Lighter

1 sealed MRE

Survival blanket

*Mini Jumper cables (from when I thought owning a KTM SXF was a good idea)

*Tube patch/glue kit

*Spare clutch lever (honda)

* $20.00+

* small container of misc nuts, bolts, master link, clips, cotter pins, etc

* Malcolm Smith 5-way tool

* Tire plug kit and tools (for tubeless)

Edited by Krannie

can't address it all right now, but you seem to be on the right path. You can do things like get a small 1/4" ratchet set and sockets and a 6" extension and a screw driver bit socket. That will let you get a ton of allen head bits, phillips bits and whatever else you need and will eliminate the need of a 6 in 1 screw driver and allen wrenches plus also have a ratchet. Things like jumper cables seem over kill get 6' of 14 gauge wire and cut it in half and clean the ends when you need it to jump something. The point is all you are trying to do is move electricity from one place to another you don't need fancy jumper cables in the middle of the woods just some wire. You could even go as far as to use safety wire that way it can work as jumper cables and hold something together. You just need to be careful they don't short out. Thats where you can use your tape to insulate parts that might ground.

One of the things I have used a lot is the bicycle size can of fixaflat, but I run a tublis in the front and HD tube in the rear. That little can usually gives you enough to get to the car.

I'll think more about this tonight.

Holy crap that's a lot.

I have just enough to hopefully limp the bike back. You don't need to bring the whole garage, just enough to make it to the truck.

Socket wrench and, 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets.

Wrenches, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm.

Screwdriver with 4 interchangeable tips.

Needle nose pliers with wire cutters.

Leatherman tool.

Zip ties.

Small length of bailing wire.

CO2 air kit

Electrical tape.

A few M6, M8, and M10 bolts.

I keep the full tool kit in the truck for bigger repairs, but this small kit allows me to re-install almost anything that has fallen off, or do work on things like the carb.

I also have a small first aid kit with me, but it's also limited. With the same idea, just enough to get me back to the truck where I have a full first aid kit.

No need to pack 10 lbs of stuff with you.

• Like 1

Holy crap that's a lot.

I have just enough to hopefully limp the bike back. You don't need to bring the whole garage, just enough to make it to the truck.

Socket wrench and, 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets.

Wrenches, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm.

Screwdriver with 4 interchangeable tips.

Needle nose pliers with wire cutters.

Leatherman tool.

Zip ties.

Small length of bailing wire.

CO2 air kit

Electrical tape.

A few M6, M8, and M10 bolts.

I keep the full tool kit in the truck for bigger repairs, but this small kit allows me to re-install almost anything that has fallen off, or do work on things like the carb.

I also have a small first aid kit with me, but it's also limited. With the same idea, just enough to get me back to the truck where I have a full first aid kit.

No need to pack 10 lbs of stuff with you.

10? I have 24lbs.

Find someone else to ride with that's over prepared and let them carry everything. No need to have 2 of everything right? You can now carry all the snacks you want.

• Like 1

Find someone else to ride with that's over prepared and let them carry everything. No need to have 2 of everything right? You can now carry all the snacks you want.

+1

• Like 1

Use mousse's and stop carrying levers, co2 canisters, tube, psi gauge, slime, tube patchs/glue. But now I tend to carry more food and also a basic first aid kit

Rescue tape instead of electrical tape because it can fix rad hose leaks and work as electrical tape

Kran,

Remember... This is the old thread that addressed this; http://www.thumperta...ding-your-450x/

I need to update my list, as I've been able to get a tool here and there to do double or triply duty. I still carry 20+ pounds of STUFF, and feel naked without it.

BTW, depending on where I ride... I'll stash a $100 (more or less) in my helmet liner. I've lost a wallet out of my vest pocket... this saves you when you think "all is lost". And, it's a nice find when you forget about it down the road!!

Edited by JohnnyAirtime

Dang Krannie you carry a big kit, cool thread too, I always like to see what folks are bringing... I dont like to carry weight on my back in a backpack if I can help it so I picked of some Wolfman day tripper saddle bags and those have been working well for me. I got a Harbor Freight roll up tool bag thing and have enough tools in there to remove, tighten or reinstall just about anything. I got some shorty tire irons, 21" tube, a small tube of Sil-Glyde, home made tow strap, tube of JB weld, some zip ties and e tape, first aid kit, some extra bolts, a few feet of lockwire and a few feet of 16g electical wire. For some of my longer trips I have been carrying a small 8oz bottle of 10w-40 oil just in case. After rebuilding my top end I have had zero oil use but its more for if I crash and crack a side cover and have to JB weld and limp home.

I figure If I cant limp home with what I got in this kit I probably deserve the long walk ahead of me.

Kran,

Remember... This is the old thread that addressed this; http://www.thumperta...ding-your-450x/

I need to update my list, as I've been able to get a tool here and there to do double or triply duty. I still carry 20+ pounds of STUFF, and feel naked without it.

BTW, depending on where I ride... I'll stash a $100 (more or less) in my helmet liner. I've lost a wallet out of my vest pocket... this saves you when you think "all is lost". And, it's a nice find when you forget about it down the road!!

I like the money stash idea. I'd forget though.....

I have managed to get my pack down by 6lbs, which is HUGE when it 's on your back for 8 hours......

More motion pro tools, and the leatherman, means lighter and less tools.

I guess it depends where you ride. I don't carry the tire stuff since I dont have a history of getting flats, so the tire stuff stays at the truck. Did you have tow rope? I carry 30' of 4mm kevlar climbing rope that is super light but tough enough to tow or rappel with. My fanny pack is pretty heavy since I carry enough tools to fix my families bikes as well. I consider it a exercise tool to strengthen my legs when I ride. I also carry an eatmore bar in there for a snack. I have made some custom aluminum tools that are lighter. Cam.

We have had mutiple failures of the Second Wind tire pump in the JCR kit. Good concept but breaks too easily. I now carry an inflator with a few CO2 cartridges as well as a small hand pump.

• Like 1

We have had mutiple failures of the Second Wind tire pump in the JCR kit. Good concept but breaks too easily. I now carry an inflator with a few CO2 cartridges as well as a small hand pump.

Might be where and how it's carried. On the bike, problems happen (darn washing machine effect).

I carry a second-wind (Co2 and pump style), never a problem in the last 8years. But I carry it on me, in my Ogio Vest.

What we do is me and my riding buddy split the tools carried. I'm the tire guy so this is what I carry. It all fits in my hydration pack.

IMG_2333.JPG

That works great....

IF; - Your buddy is always with you.

If he doesn't come along on the ride - then what?

If he gets lost, and your without him - then what?

... you see what I mean?

I don't rely on too many others around me. I try to be self sufficient. We've been separated from others, where relying on someone else would have been a catastrophe.

I guess it depends where you ride. I don't carry the tire stuff since I dont have a history of getting flats, so the tire stuff stays at the truck. Did you have tow rope? I carry 30' of 4mm kevlar climbing rope that is super light but tough enough to tow or rappel with. My fanny pack is pretty heavy since I carry enough tools to fix my families bikes as well. I consider it a exercise tool to strengthen my legs when I ride. I also carry an eatmore bar in there for a snack. I have made some custom aluminum tools that are lighter. Cam.

Kind of the point... not only WHERE you ride, but HOW FAR you are from the truck.

No flats? Me neither... they are rare for me. BUT, I still carry all I need to change a flat (front or rear).

Tow rope... yup, I carry a CycoActive TowDowns (don't think they sell them anymore, bummer). Works double duty... tie down, or tow strap. Nice and small too!