YZ250 Fuel Tank Options

I currently ride a 2011 YZ250 2 stroke with a IMS 3.2 tank on it. Here lately I have been practicing a lot and really working on my turns. I have really started to notice that with the oversize tank that the bike is feeling top heavy and that I'm not able to get up to the front of the bike like I want to. I mainly race hare scrambles but I'm wanting to start doing a little bit of motocross as well. I have a few options, but I'm I would like any imput from you guess that have found solutions for this problem.

I can get 48 miles on my 3.2 tank and 33 miles on my stock 2.1 tank. So with the stock tank during a hare scramble I may or may not have to stop for fuel depending on the mileage. I don't mind stopping so that's not an issues. I just want to make the refueling easy. So far this is what I have come up with.

1. Keep the over size tank and just deal with it.

2. Buy a Clark stock size tank in clear so I can see the fuel level and buy a Tuff Jug with the dry break filler. (Leaning toward this option)

3. Have a dry break receiver put in a stock tank which can be done, but it cost around $500.00 to $600.00 plus the tank.

Any input is welcome. I'm just trying to find the best of both worlds. The feel of a mx size tank with the quick fill capabilities that you find in offroad. Yes I know I could just swap tanks back and forth, but I'm trying to keep from doing that. Also if you reply and have found solutions or ideas please post with pictures so I can see what you have.

Other have said the TipTy 3.1 gal tank sits the fuel way lower and you can get that with the dry brake. That way you could complete most of your races without refueling and your handling shouldn't be as much of an issue. You could keep your stock tank for when you ride MX and swap it out, you'd need an extra set of mounting hardware and the petcock though.

A little bit of irreverent info, I get similar mileage ~45 miles with 3.1 IMS tank, I also race hare scrambles. I had an upcoming race that I knew was going to be 50 miles...and I hate stopping for gas. I bought the 3.9 Clarke, the fit kinda sucked but after 2 nights of working at it, made it work. My SUB mount stabilizer link arm rubs/digs into the tank at the very top...but I finished the race without a pit stop. Half way through the race my stabilizer broke(intermittently worked, sometimes with massive damping) sketched me out, wonder if the tank fitment issue helped break it?

If your tank was rubbing the frame mount it could of possibly caused it to fail. Also when was the last time you had it serviced? I know when mine hit around the year to year and a half mark I started having issues with mine. I sent it back to scotts and they replaced the brokin parts and serviced it.

Yah, I suspect the link arm rubbing against the tank as the frame flexes caused the issue with the damper. There's maybe a 1/4" long divot at the top front of the tank where it was rubbing/digging in. I've never had the damper serviced, had about 150 hrs on it, well it's already off to Scotts to get fixed should have it back in a few weeks.

I'm also going to call Clarke and ask if they modify their tanks, anyone with a SUB mount would run into this same issue. If you're just using a normal mount the tower would rub against the tank, not as big of a deal as the link arm rubbing.

• TT Sponsor

Yah, I suspect the link arm rubbing against the tank as the frame flexes caused the issue with the damper. There's maybe a 1/4" long divot at the top front of the tank where it was rubbing/digging in. I've never had the damper serviced, had about 150 hrs on it, well it's already off to Scotts to get fixed should have it back in a few weeks.

I'm also going to call Clarke and ask if they modify their tanks, anyone with a SUB mount would run into this same issue. If you're just using a normal mount the tower would rub against the tank, not as big of a deal as the link arm rubbing.

Hi Paul-

When did you send you damper in?

Thanks-

Eric

IMG_0635.JPGSo on the flip side to this I have an '05 YZ 250 that I only use for Motocross and have no need for all that fuel, I have tank foam in it now to help keep from sloshing around and to allow to corner better. Has anyone ever heard of being able to get a smaller tank??????