Sign in to follow this  

Rear tire

Hello all,

I am in need of a new back tire this upcoming riding season and I was wondering which brands are the best. I do a lot of riding here in Ohio which is a lot of hard dirt and sometimes mud, but my parents and a couple of buddies of mine have cottages in Michigan which is mostly sand. I was wondering which tire would the best for both areas and which brand hold up the best and longest.

Thanks,

Rob

Edited by rk_xr400

Well, for MI I would suggest a Michelin S12 XC. Good soft terrain tire, lasts a long time and transitions well to harder loam and mud. Pirelli MT16 is another good "all rounder" that will probably be a little better on dry hard pack.

I've always like the kenda Millville, it powers through any amount of mud, and will take some gnarly hills. Not the greatest on real hard pack or roots though.

Michelin S12 is a good tire, had one on my Ttr225, it would tractor up any and over anything.

A tire that I've used which really hooks up well in sandy / soft terrain is the Dunlop D952. Way better than any other tire I've tried. The only trouble is that sometimes it hooks up so good that it will want to stand you up in turns.

I use the M404 in everything Ohio can throw at it. Also works well in the SC sand when I make my annual trips. It flat out hooks up in decent in everything, but works amazing in Oh conditions and wears pretty darn good! What sort of riding do you do though?

Edited by BDubb106

I use the M404 in everything Ohio can throw at it. Also works well in the SC sand when I make my annual trips. It flat out hooks up in decent in everything, but works amazing in Oh conditions and wears pretty darn good! What sort of riding do you do though?

What other tires have you compared the 404 to . I've never tried the 404, but I have run a bunch of dunlops and other misc brands. All the dunlops I've tried have been terrible except the D952. The MX51 is average in hard pack, and below average in soft terrain, the 739's are crappy as well. Can't really get to attached to the dunlops. One other tire that has impressed me was the Maxxis Desert IT. To be honest, the desert IT is probably the all around best tire I've used. It really hooks up and allows you to feel stable in the turns. Having said all that, I think I will give the 404 a try next desert season, everyone seems to love them.

I've ran a ton of rears... any specific tires you want to compare them to? You have to keep in mind that I'm riding MX tracks. Not varying conditions like you encounter in an offroad setting.

The MX51 is a decent tire if you ride moto only and in perfect conditions. It gets great traction but knobs will start to tear if you ride anything harder than loam.

The Michelin Starcross MH3 is a pretty good tire as well. Good traction and wears fairly decent. Just not as good overall as the 51 or 404.

The Maxis IT was probably my favorite off road tire. Great traction and wore like IRON! That thing hooked up until the knobs were darn near gone.

The Dunlop 756 was a great tire... I would probably still be running them if they were easy to find.

The Pirelli Scorpion MX Extra is another good tire... wore great and traction was ok. Just not my favorite and expensive.

I have been running the Artrax MX Pro tires on my practice bikes... decent traction and probably one of the longest lasting tires I have ever used. I rode a full season on it last year and flipped it this year and should get another full year! Huge downside is they are extremely stiff and tough to mount but they do feel really stable. If you get on the side knobs really hard, that is when you notice the difference between that tire and the more expensive name brand tires.

All in all I would rate my top 3 tire choices in this order 1.)404 2.)MX51 3.) Artrax for longevity and traction in a non race setting.

As long as the 404 is avail or until I find a tire better, I will be running it!

Edited by BDubb106

Around Ohio at my home, there are many trails near river bottoms or along rivers which is soft, muddy ground, but we also make many trips to Wayne National Forest also which is in Southern Ohio. In Michigan we ride mostly back trails that we have found over the years and is mostly deep sand. But I think I'm leaning towards the Maxxis IT. Many people I've heard from say that they last for awhile and hook up great.

Edited by rk_xr400
  • Like 1

IRC M5B is for soft and muddy. I don't ride mud but a 120/80 was good in the sand. IRC makes some gnarly tires.

I switched to a dual sport tire for what I'm doing now.