Sign in to follow this  

beginner whip question

I'm trying to learn how to whip and I am just starting to do the whip movement. I successfully did it a few times, but in the las tfew times I tried it, when I tried to straighten out, I felt like I was tipping to one side and leaning over too much to one side when I was landing. It was like the side I was trying to whip to. I got off balance and landed leaning to that side. Any tips? Should I start the movement on the face, or in the air, and use the bars or my legs.

I'm having a little trouble under standing exactly what's happening, 'side im trying to whip' is a little to general, but here it goes.

Stay you are coming up the face, you start leaning off to the left, once airborne, the bike will lean left and the back tire will float out to the right.

Is the bike staying leaned to the left and you are under correcting or is the bike coming back past strait so that you have to lean right after you land?

I'm having a little trouble under standing exactly what's happening, 'side im trying to whip' is a little to general, but here it goes.

Stay you are coming up the face, you start leaning off to the left, once airborne, the bike will lean left and the back tire will float out to the right.

Is the bike staying leaned to the left and you are under correcting or is the bike coming back past strait so that you have to lean right after you land?

the bike is staying left. sorry about the hard to understand paragraph, but say I whip to the left. It stays to the left, Its like I'm paralyzed and can't get it back. I think I may have been turning the bars more than leaning

Man, speaking in all honesty here, its really not a good idea to have others explain to you how to whip. Especially verbally over the internet. Whipping, and scrubbing, are really just something you have to learn on your own. It'll come, don't rush it, and do it over and over and over agin.

• Like 1

I only really whip using the face of the jump. Some of the fmx guys can throw nasty whips mid air like Potter but must whips are carved in the face of the jump.

In mx, where you're are constantly at high speed, you have to whip using the face of your take off. Very few jumps are tall enough for anything else. In fmx you can't because the jumps are too thin.

In mx, where you're are constantly at high speed, you have to whip using the face of your take off. Very few jumps are tall enough for anything else. In fmx you can't because the jumps are too thin.

even the fmx guys are getting their whips started on the face. There is no way to throw gnarly whips with out starting on the face.

Edited by Die_trying

Dang! I've hit fmx jumps, and trying to use the face for whips would take some serious skill.

I'm trying to learn how to whip and I am just starting to do the whip movement. I successfully did it a few times, but in the las tfew times I tried it, when I tried to straighten out, I felt like I was tipping to one side and leaning over too much to one side when I was landing. It was like the side I was trying to whip to. I got off balance and landed leaning to that side. Any tips? Should I start the movement on the face, or in the air, and use the bars or my legs.

Yes, you should start the whip on the face of the jump and yes you should use your legs and arms. Before you begin to practice doing the whip find a smooth faced jump with no ruts on the face. The whip can be performed even when there are some small ruts in the face of the jump but it is much easier to do without ruts. Make sure it’s a safe jump (like a tabletop) but has enough hang time to get it sideways and pull it back straight for the landing. Approach the jump at an angle so you can turn the bike off the jump and still hit your intended landing target. As you're coming into the jump lean your body (mostly your head) off the inside of the bike a little. This would be to the side that you are leaning. Just as the bike begins to rebound continue leaning it over and as it starts to rebound let the back end come out to the side. At the same time pull back on the outside handlebar, it doesn't take much, just a little. As it leaves the jump you can pull it over more by the handlebars and by leaning more off to the inside or you can straighten it up or let it stay the same. Right after that instant make sure you find the center of balance with your body movement. Then at the top of the arch of your air time start to reverse the movement that you executed upon takeoff. This will give you enough time to straighten it up for the landing.

To get all the detailed info about jumping and whoops watch the free DVD preview of my Volume 2 DVD #3 All About Jumps and Whoops DVD. If you like you can order the disc or Stream online. http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-2/dvd-3-all-about-jumps-whoops

Also before Christmas I released the final video in the Volume 3 Series DVD #8 (How to Absorb, Scrub and Whip). http://www.gsmxs.com/featured/vo3-dvd-8-motocross-jumping-absorbing-scrubbing-and-whipping-techniques-preview

Volume 3 #8  FRONT Cover.jpg