Sign in to follow this  

engine make and model

i found an engine that is supposed to be an xr 250.. Guy dosen't know the year but I have the serial number off the back of the

crankcase... Anyone who could help me out with identifying the year I would appreaciate it.. I think its an 2001 model..

Serial # is mc01e-5800991

Thanks in advance

Nathan..

Correction on the num.. mE01e*5800991

Edited by Nathan Stiltner

The M designates engine displacement of 200cc-349cc and the C designates it is a street motorcycle. What I'm reading is that, in the first 4 digits before the e, the last digit refers to year model. Before 2000 they used letters, after 2000 they used numbers.

Edited by Trailryder42

The first four digits is the Honda model code and will match position 4-7 of the bike VIN number.

The "E" indicates engine.

The numbers are the serial.

XR model codes all start with ME. Is it ME rather than MC? MD is for the XLs.

ME01 is early XR250, 79-83.

ME06 is 84-95

ME08 is 96-04.

A dealer can look up the number part and to tell you the exact year.

Edited by chuck4788

The first four digits is the Honda model code and will match position 4-7 of the bike VIN number.

XR model codes all start with ME. Is it ME rather than MC?

ME01 is early XR250, 79-83.

ME08 is 96-04.

A dealer can look up the number part and to tell you the exact year.

Thanks chuck.. It is me and not mc..

so its probably and early 80's model.. it has two exhaust ports and what looks like maybe a four valve... I haven't pulled the caps because I haven't bought it yet.. But the valve caps are rectangular and not round like my 82 xr200.. Might be a four valve motor... Guy wants 25 bucks for it.. Says it was running out of the bke.. Says the only thing wrong with it is a broken kickstarter.. Probably be a good buy anyway you look at it..

I wonder if it would fit my 82 frame?? I need a jug for my 200. So its dead weight until I find one... Be nice if the 250 motor would fit the frame. I would just replace the kickstat and try it..

Edited by Nathan Stiltner