kdx 220 problems

hey guys got a few problems i need a little input on when it comes to this bike. its a 90's kdx 220 (dont know exact yr not my bike my buddys that im staring to ride). my first problem is starting maybe its just the nature of the beast but its a pain in the a@@ to start.. kicked it over for 4 1/2 hrs with nothing i even towed it down the road at 20 in second before it actually fired... once it fired it starts everytime now...aslong as i can find the sweet spot what would cause it to act like that? carb is clean getting spark and fuel and adjusted right.. any ideas?? i wanna be able to start it without a problem everytime. and second problem is not as annoying i got her started and i had her stay at a steady 1/4 throttle to make sure she wouldnt die on me. she ran great at a steady throttle intill i got on the throttle to WOT and at that point she would seem to whine alittle and bog for a second and then rev but when you put her in first and go to ride no matter how much gas you give her she dies or boggs wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy down. what would cause that? main crank seal? bad top end seal? and planning on ripping this motor apart would it be smart to put all knew seals and gaskets? any other suggestions? dont be afraid to talk techancal im pretty good at understanding it im always rebuilding motors:D thanks to who answer

p.s aiming to have done by mid summer

--jay

Edited by crazyman2

Sounds to me like it needs a new top end. Piston, rings, gaskets. And a carb cleaning and jetting. Clean the carb and reject first and run a compression test to find out how wore out the top end is. There's a sticky up top of the forum on kdx jetting.

+1 on above.

If it were me? I'd pull Carb make sure all orifices are clean ( use spray cleaner and compressed air and a small PC of wire for pilot if needed) also clean entirety of Carb in and out. Don't soak it though. BE sure to set float hgt! Check compression as said above. Report back.

+1 on above.

If it were me? I'd pull Carb make sure all orifices are clean ( use spray cleaner and compressed air and a small PC of wire for pilot if needed) also clean entirety of Carb in and out. Don't soak it though. BE sure to set float hgt! Check compression as said above. Report back.

Sounds to me like it needs a new top end. Piston, rings, gaskets. And a carb cleaning and jetting. Clean the carb and reject first and run a compression test to find out how wore out the top end is. There's a sticky up top of the forum on kdx jetting.

I agree. Plus, you could have a leaking crank seal as well. Check behind the flywheel for any signs of oil/fuel.

I know the carb is clean i had it done professionally by a mentor of mine i guess i ll start ripping the motor apart to see how the piston and walls are i know the owner had replaced the pistion when he first got it bout five years ago due to the ring chipping inside the motor and had messed up the valves but i dont thunk he honed it out so ill throw that on the list to do

Next question is there any major issues this bike has been known for? Kinda wanna take care of them before i finish the motor and try an ride

My KX250 had this problem. Wouldnt start cold, wouldnt start warm. Did you do a compression test? I ended up cleaning the carb and doing a top end job. Now it starts within 3 good manly kicks, one kick warm.

Well think i found out why its acting the way it is i came across the reeds to it they never got put in-_-

Well think i found out why its acting the way it is i came across the reeds to it they never got put in-_-

Wha...? Please elaborate.

Edited by lethalweapon100

The guy hard took the carb and the intake of along with the reeds and well i did the resreach anf found out that the bike has a reed chamber that sits in the intake and i toke the intake back off and found out the ones for this bike is missing so bought a new set putting them in sunday

The guy hard took the carb and the intake of along with the reeds and well i did the resreach anf found out that the bike has a reed chamber that sits in the intake and i toke the intake back off and found out the ones for this bike is missing so bought a new set putting them in sunday

...soo...it had no reeds. And it ran.

Yeah it ran with no reeds but only with the clutch pulled in and still revved but very slow

Yeah it ran with no reeds but only with the clutch pulled in and still revved but very slow

...huh. That...wow.

...huh. That...wow.

Hahah yeah but needed atleast quater throttle to start and to stay running. It was a bitch to start thou and even run running if you gave it throttle to quickly it would bog.

And it wouldnt take off under its own power

Wat8.jpg?1315930535
Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Hahaha yup

im honestly shocked it ran

im honestly shocked it ran

I think it only ran at a 1/4 throttle because it was a high enough rpm that it sucked enough gas mix in so when the piston came back down it didnt push exactly all of it out so it keep firing

Got the bike running it runs nice first kick everytime with a tad bit of throttle