Sign in to follow this  

Leatt 3df

Has anyone tried either of the new 3df protection systems ( shirt or best) I am looking for better protection on my chest and especially back than my fox chest protector provides.... Thanks

Hi, I am also interested in this thing. It seems a bit similar to the troy lee and forcefield soft approach. UFO has got a sastec based suit like this too. I may be pulling the trigger on the leatt this summer. If i do I will ome back and let you know what i think of it.

Hi, I am also interested in this thing. It seems a bit similar to the troy lee and forcefield soft approach. UFO has got a sastec based suit like this too. I may be pulling the trigger on the leatt this summer. If i do I will ome back and let you know what i think of it.

Whatever you end up choosing do not buy anything, from any brand that you want to protect your chest or back if it is not CE certified to either Level 1 or Level 2 impact protection. Do not be fooled if someone says CE app[roved, it must be CE impact approved. The actuiall safety standards are called CE EN 1621-2 for back and CE EN 1621-3 for front. Basically speaking you get 60% more impact protection at Level 1 and 90% more at Level 2. There are a few other brands besides Leatt that make these high level protectors but, sadly, not many.

Phil,

Why are the adventure and 3df vests only level 1 ce?

Which do you think would be better suited to mx, the body protectors or the vests...

I have the 3df elbow pads and am going to get the knee pads shortly I know it's not directly what you are asking but I really like them over a tradition hard plastic guard. I haven't really field tested them yet but they feel good elbowing my desk and that test was conducted very scientifically. I have been riding in them for about two months now and the 3df seems like pretty good stuff.

Hey Phil Davey, it's scare tactic scams like the CE1 or CE2 you are pushing that make me sure i will never buy a Leatt product. I imagine that whatever car or truck your family drives, there is a vehicle that has more or better airbags or has a higher safety rating. You realize this dont you? Then why dont you have that vehicle that has that newest latest "approved" stamp of "safety". Dont you care for their safety? $$$$$$

Hey Phil Davey, it's scare tactic scams like the CE1 or CE2 you are pushing that make me sure i will never buy a Leatt product. I imagine that whatever car or truck your family drives, there is a vehicle that has more or better airbags or has a higher safety rating. You realize this dont you? Then why dont you have that vehicle that has that newest latest "approved" stamp of "safety". Dont you care for their safety? $$$$$$

Would you buy a helmet that's not "DOT approved"?

No, you wouldn't.

They're not scams, they're standards to assess their effectiveness.

The car thing is a bad analogy, I'm not even touching that.

Phil,

Why are the adventure and 3df vests only level 1 ce?

Which do you think would be better suited to mx, the body protectors or the vests...

The 3DF Body Vest is CE Level 2 on the front and back, the Adventure Body Vest is,as you say, only Level 1 on the front but is Level 2 on the back.

In retrospect we probably should have made the Adventure Body Vest front Level 2, but at the time we were trying to keep the price lower. In looking back the lower price was not really significat enough and it should have been Level 2.

The choice is yours on what to wear. Just think of this as a guyide line. On motocross tracks you will rarely come across the chance of crashing onto large pointed rocks or sharp tree limbs so the all soft 3DF is great for MX. If you are mostly an off road rider of Grand Prix racer the hard plastic Adventure is more likely to absorb sharp points.

Yea I am pretty big on CE ratings in my gear. I consider myself a man of science and so I put a lot of weight into things which are tested and verified to an established standard to things which are not.

Picked up the 3df suit. long arm one with the shoulders and elbows in it. Have not ridden with it but trying it on at the store right after the adventure hard suit... I bought it right then and there. I was really impressed with how it fit. A few minor quibbles with it but overall I was blown away when I put it on. I gotta say as a thin dude this thing feels REALLY good on me. I know some of you guys with a little extra around the waist feel like you have problems, but I often feel like everything is designed for someone who can bench press a buick, so I was delighted something seemed to fit my scrawny butt so well.

you can find my write up on initial impressions here: http://advrider.com/...ad.php?t=882244

^ hope it is ok to link to other forums!

Edited by BaronVonDarrin