Timing

How do I check my timing my bike ran good for 2 miles then started back firing real bad and tarted to die at low rpm got it home now won't start any help please Rocky

valve timing or ignition timing? Nevermind what makes you think its something to do with timing? I'd check for a fuel/carb problem first, then check the ignition if the sparkplug sparks when turned over.

What kind of bike? Whats the history of the bike? Was it just taken out of storage or have you been driving it regularly?

Edited by D0T-C0M

valve timing or ignition timing? Nevermind what makes you think its something to do with timing? I'd check for a fuel/carb problem first, then check the ignition if the sparkplug sparks when turned over.

What kind of bike? Whats the history of the bike? Was it just taken out of storage or have you been driving it regularly?

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is a 2007 xr650l I ride it a lot almost everyday it was fine the day before.it has 10000 miles I don't have a service manual iam getting one

would start with fuel and carb also, its easy to pull the spark plug and in the dark hold the plug (hoocked to wire) and touch tip to the cylinder head and bump the starter button and see how the spark is..... then you know for sure.

Timing would have to be chain slipping and its prolly not the first thing that would happen.

Where you at in CA ????

Bakersfield

Some guy said have the Cdi checked

What is cdi

The black box next to the battery in the battery box.

Kurt

Some guy said have the Cdi checked

What is cdi

CDI is the module that controls the ignition spark and timing. Its located inside the battery compartment on the right hand side.

I will check it out thanks

If the Cdi is bad will the bike get spark

Sometimes they fail gradually and sometimes they just go dead. I had issues restarting my bike when it was hot. Eventually it got worse until it wouldn't start when cold either and I had to get a new CDI for it. I now have an extra spare one so that I'm prepared next time I have a failure.

A failing Pulse Generator can also cause symptoms like you've described. I've been through that issue too. It's harder to check. After replacing both the CDI and Pulse Generator, my bike has been totally reliable.

Can you check your Cdi and if so how

If it is going bad, hitting it usually makes it work better.

If it is going bad, hitting it usually makes it work better.

What he means by hitting it is, hit it with something like the handle of a large screwdriver not slapping it with your hands. My XR650L would start and run fine then just die like someone turned off the ignition. Sometimes it would fire right back up and other times it took a while. It ended up being my CDI.

Ok it's getting gas and a good spark to the plug

Can you check your Cdi and if so how

There are continuity chacks and resistance values in the Honda shop manual that can be checked but they don't mean much. A cdi can pass all the tests and still be bad in my experience.

What he means by hitting it is, hit it with something like the handle of a large screwdriver not slapping it with your hands. My XR650L would start and run fine then just die like someone turned off the ignition. Sometimes it would fire right back up and other times it took a while. It ended up being my CDI.

Been there done that. At some point hitting it will cease to work as well.

Can the 650L be choked 1/2 way? If yes, the next time it starts acting up, choke 1/2 way & see if runs better. If yes, its leaness/fuel shortage. Need to focus on carb. BUT, If acts the same,(1/2 choked) then I would explore the spark/cdi electrical components .