1984 CR500R ?

I've got a chance to pick up a 1984 CR500R (only year CR500 air cooled here in the US - prior year models were CR480) and was wondering if anyone out there has actually owned one? Is there anything specific problem(s) to look out for on these bikes when buying one? I know the water cooled bikes tend to crack OEM pistons and the usual stuff about suspension bearing maintenance. Have also read some comments on the web about the bikes, but not sure if those were actual owners or people with fuzzy memories. Is there anything unique to this year model bike to check? Thanks

My brother and I both had new ones back in the day. I know that many will not agree with me but, to me, that was one of Honda's worse bikes out of the crate. It pinged like crazy. The solution for ours was two head gaskets, jetting, half & half race/pump gas and an aftermarket pipe. With that, that was without a doubt the meanest sounding 500 I've owned (and there have been many). Not really the fastest but man that thing barked!

After coming off the '83 480, the '84 500 was a disappointment but one that could be fixed.

Rear shocks are under sprong.

It is a short rod motor.

There is ton of info at cr500riders.com

There is a air cooled sticky under the tech section.

Short rod motor (can't find those rods ANYWHERE), and detonation are the main issues. You can put a long rod (they're in the 87-01 motors) into it, but you need a 5mm spacer for that in order for it to work.

There's everything you need to know about that bike, and more on cr500riders.com :thumbsup:

I owned an 84 500 for a while, great bike, pulled right beside my buddies liquid cooled 98 500.

Downfalls of this bike are, low tech drum rear brakes, one year engine hard to get parts, the detonation issues already mentioned above.

IMO for CR500's 1987 is as old as I would go, depends what your expectations are, and how/where it's going to be ridden.

Thanks for the info. I'm not new to CR500s; have an '87 and (3) 2001s (one is an AFC). Saw the air cooled sticky on CR500riders but haven't read all through it (28 pages). Saw where cylinders and liners are hard to come by but didn't notice the short rod issue. The more I check into this, the more I think it's not a good idea.

My advice Jbird is to find a clean '83 CR480. They're a great bike and vastly more popular so more parts. Lots of folks vintage race them. Pretty dang cool looking too.

Edited by HrcRacing27

Thanks Robert. I really wasn't looking to get another CR500 but this opportunity has come up for this '84. He's asking $1k and I'm going to try to get it for $800. If I can get it that cheap, I figure I'll either resell it for around $1100 or worst case, part it out to make my money back. Really would hate to part out a working bike. Not sure why I'm even thinking about this when I have 5 really big projects going on with other bikes I can't seem to finish. Guess it's spring fever and the itching for something different.

Thanks Robert. I really wasn't looking to get another CR500 but this opportunity has come up for this '84. He's asking $1k and I'm going to try to get it for $800. If I can get it that cheap, I figure I'll either resell it for around $1100 or worst case, part it out to make my money back. Really would hate to part out a working bike. Not sure why I'm even thinking about this when I have 5 really big projects going on with other bikes I can't seem to finish. Guess it's spring fever and the itching for something different.

LOL, yeah, I've bought a few that I've scratched my head over too wondering why the heck I bought it. :lol::banghead: