Chain 2 links too long

Hey my new ProTaper chain is 3 links longer then my stock one, I'm going up 1 tooth on the rear, 13/49 (i think MXA recommended that in their 09 review) so that would make it 2 links too long,

is there anything bad about running it that way?

Ps I haven't even tried putting it on yet, so no clue how it fits, just want to see if its okay first

Put it on first.

. Put it on. The farther back you run your rear tire the more stable the bike is too ride in theory anyway. then just grind off what ya dont need

Oh okay, I thought it had to be spot on or else it'd be awkward while riding or something, that's all I really needed to know thanks!

put it on, take out how every man links you need. Pay close attention to which end you remove links from. To remove a link, grind down the pin in a grinder or with a cut off wheel and use a punch and hammer to push it through.

I had my dealer do it we cut six links off and its still to long, I don't have anything to do it myself, Can I ride and then cut the chain? It will fit but it's gunna make the wheel pushed back even further then it originally was, room for adjustment will only last me about a month and I have a race this weekend so I need to do something, cus the piston isn't even broken in yet

-------------

Nvm I found a friend with one I got it, but I'd still like to know if I could still do this like after it gets stretched (to get a little more use out of it) or is that not a good idea? Just curiosity and maybe possible last minute resort down the road

Edited by Jrc579

I had my dealer do it we cut six links off and its still to long, I don't have anything to do it myself, Can I ride and then cut the chain? It will fit but it's gunna make the wheel pushed back even further then it originally was, room for adjustment will only last me about a month and I have a race this weekend so I need to do something, cus the piston isn't even broken in yet

-------------

Nvm I found a friend with one I got it, but I'd still like to know if I could still do this like after it gets stretched (to get a little more use out of it) or is that not a good idea? Just curiosity and maybe possible last minute resort down the road

If the chain is still within specifications, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to cut out more links if needed.

Typically the side to side play is way out of spec long before the chain gets stretched enough length wise to have more links removed

Chains are built to fit with the largest sprocket combination possible for your bike so you're gonna need to take some out. Just grind the heads off of the links and hit it with a center punch.