What to do with old bikes (Selling)

Hey Fellas, gotta question for some advice. I've got a few old bikes I've been trying to sell on craigslist and just haven't had any luck. Everybody is trying to beat me down on price with a sledge hammer, or trying to trade me junk that no one else wants. Latest bike I'm selling is a 2000 CR250. It could use a little love, but Its clean, it's tight, its ready to ride with a lot of new parts and I haven't got a single serious offer on it yet. What's it worth and how do you all normally go about selling your bikes? I don't have it posted on here because I haven't really noticed that many members close to me. (Western KY)

1.jpg

Around here, bone stock bikes sell the quickest. I put up a very nice, bone stock and low hour '99 RM125 on Craigslist Friday, and it sold yesterday. I even got $200 more than KBB retail.

Bikes with black plastic and aftermarket graphics, etc. tend to linger for a long time

Around here, bone stock bikes sell the quickest. I put up a very nice, bone stock and low hour '99 RM125 on Craigslist Friday, and it sold yesterday. I even got $200 more than KBB retail.

Bikes with black plastic and aftermarket graphics, etc. tend to linger for a long time

Couldn't agree more....black plastics only appeal to small percentage

rockymountain has the polisport plastic set for $95. Throw those on there, and add the cost into the bike price. I imagine it would sell quicker.

These are the plastics it came with. They're ready to be replaced, but I didn't want to put another dollar into this one since there's a good chance I will loose money on it anyhow. As much as I hate parting out a perfectly good bike, after looking at prices, I may go that route. There are a few parts I may keep for a later project though. Also, for the record, I have a very clean, very low hour CR sitting in my stable with factory tires still on it. I'm going to have to keep that one, but long story short, I had to buy the factory plastics out of the guys kung fu grip when I traded him a 125 for it. These bikes just look right with factory graphics and plastic on them.

Your bike looks clean but I do have to agree that those plastics do make it look like a younger person owned it. What all have you done to it? Here in western pa I'd say that it's not uncommon for that bike to be listed for around 1800-2000 and I imagine that they probably actually sell for around 1700 or around that. Riding season has just started here and it seems like the same bikes have been on Craigslist for awhile now. I don't know what your asking for it but I'd say if your close to the numbers I listed that you will sell it eventually. There is a buyer out there for everything. Within the next few weeks is when you start seeing the bikes disappear fairly quickly.

Riding season is pretty much here in KY. I'm asking 1500, would take 1300 firm. I'll keep it for any less, but so far I have not had an offer for over 1000. New chain and sprockets, new rear spokes, new swinger bearings, new brakes, new clutches, new rings etc. This bike is tight. I've been around bikes my whole life, so I know junk when I see it. I realize the plastic hurts it, but I've watched a lot of other bikes that didn't seem to move. Just wondering what yall did to sell one or if anyone has had any luck parting one out. Seems like ebay has really slowed down in the last few years.

Riding season is pretty much here in KY. I'm asking 1500, would take 1300 firm. I'll keep it for any less, but so far I have not had an offer for over 1000. New chain and sprockets, new rear spokes, new swinger bearings, new brakes, new clutches, new rings etc. This bike is tight. I've been around bikes my whole life, so I know junk when I see it. I realize the plastic hurts it, but I've watched a lot of other bikes that didn't seem to move. Just wondering what yall did to sell one or if anyone has had any luck parting one out. Seems like ebay has really slowed down in the last few years.

Might be able to get white number plate backgrounds for all three and then some red-based OEM looking graphics for the radiators for less than $50 maybe. I'd pay 1300$ for that bike if it were local and you had receipts.

hi- I flip bikes as a hobby so maybe I can help..I once sold a perfectly good bike [cr250] quite quickly by stripping it down so all parts can fit in a box..then advertise "bike in a box" blah blah but you sell it a lil lower than a complete bike .fill it up full of spare parts too...the psychological effect is that they are getting a deal and some might be drawn to trying to "rescue" it ..give it a try- it might work.. :ride:

Edited by zokalr13

Hmmm. That's a pretty good theory, although I would be afraid of taking too big of a hit on it. I may give that a try with some of the other projects laying around though. Here's the bike that basically replaced it. I've done a little bit to it, but nothing major.

Photo1291.jpg

Hmmm. That's a pretty good theory, although I would be afraid of taking too big of a hit on it. I may give that a try with some of the other projects laying around though. Here's the bike that basically replaced it. I've done a little bit to it, but nothing major.

That bike looks super clean. That's exactly what I'm trying to get my bike back to.

That bike looks super clean. That's exactly what I'm trying to get my bike back to.

Thanks. I just got done looking through your thread. I feel your pain. I did a total frame up resto on a 97 about a year ago. Ended up having well over 2k in the build doing it right, only to realize I wasn't happy with the bike.

Thanks. I just got done looking through your thread. I feel your pain. I did a total frame up resto on a 97 about a year ago. Ended up having well over 2k in the build doing it right, only to realize I wasn't happy with the bike.

Well i'll be well over 2k. Hope to hell I'm happy with it!

You will, the gen 2's are much better than the,first year, gen 1 ('97).

Edited by Kirkes

CL is full of theives, scammers, and douchebags. CL offers 0 protection for buyer & seller. Free ads promote douchebagism on so many levels its scary. Try ebay and you'll do better, I promise.