Sign in to follow this  

1980 XR 500

I will go ahead and disclaim that I am super new to bikes, but I am getting broke in proper. Starting off by putting in a whole new top end to my 1980 XR500. Got the new big bore piston, and cylinder honed, and all new valves. However when we went to put the carb back in, we noticed a little piece was missing. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can replace it. I think its either a metal or plastic cap that goes on the opposite side of the choke valve on my carb. I'll post a couple of pictures. I want to get it up and running but don't want to damage anything with out this piece. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The first picture is of the "missing piece" the second picture is number on the carb for reference. I have tried to look it up through Keihin but have found nothing.

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

I will go ahead and disclaim that I am super new to bikes, but I am getting broke in proper. Starting off by putting in a whole new top end to my 1980 XR500. Got the new big bore piston, and cylinder honed, and all new valves. However when we went to put the carb back in, we noticed a little piece was missing. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can replace it. I think its either a metal or plastic cap that goes on the opposite side of the choke valve on my carb. I'll post a couple of pictures. I want to get it up and running but don't want to damage anything with out this piece. Any suggestions? Thanks!

The first picture is of the "missing piece" the second picture is number on the carb for reference. I have tried to look it up through Keihin but have found nothing.

I would post this in the Honda dirt bike section under the 600/650 section. this bike predates those but the lineage is there and lots of old timers that know about those bikes. (Hopefully)

Maybe under the carburation section as well.

That looks like the choke shaft. There should be a spring and a black cap over it. That's all.

If you can find an old used carb to grab those parts off of,perfect.

That looks like the choke shaft. There should be a spring and a black cap over it. That's all.

If you can find an old used carb to grab those parts off of,perfect.

Yeah I went to Boise Vintage Cycle over the weekend and found the proverbial needle in the haystack. It was literally the only 1 out of close to 100 carbs that I looked at there that had the linkage. Felt pretty lucky to find it. Fits perfect on the bike. I am guessing thats not a popular style of carb?