Widest front tire for sandwash (Rockman)

My buddy wants me to bring him a new front tire for his XR400. We went up the Rockman sand wash to the switchback on our last trip.

Now my pal wants a fat one on the front.

On our next trip we're going to Santa Maria's ruins and ride the Rockman the other way from highway one.

What is the biggest 21" front knobby for sand. He's willing to take a disc to the side knobs to make it clear if necessary.

At one time he had a Yamaha Big Wheel BW200 and we both know that would be like a cadillac on that bitch of a sand wash.

When I pre-run for the Baja races that go through Matomi wash (among others), I usually ziptie a spare front wheel to my backpack mounted with a Dunlop or Bridgestone 90/100. I'll swap out the wheel just before the sandwash and then change back to the thinner 80/100 when I get on the hardpack. Your friend should consider this approach.

Edited by Justin Hambleton
  • Like 4

This is kinda a secret but Bridgestone M403 is the biggest widest front tire that is easy to get ahold of. 90/100-21 It looks like a 19" 125 rear tire but on the front!!!

...now here's the secret part, and some folks with Honda might be upset with me that I shared this part, besides when I try to race with them when they're just Pre-running, lol... There is a 'bigger' front Bib available from Michelin that will only fit in this size tire and last twice as long as the 'normal' front Bibs.

You didn't hear it from me!

• Like 2

When I pre-run for the Baja races that go through Matomi wash (among others), I usually ziptie a spare front wheel to my backpack mounted with a Dunlop or Bridgestone 90/100. I'll swap out the wheel just before the sandwash and then change back to the thinner 80/100 when I get on the hardpack. Your friend should consider this approach.

LOL... I want pictures!! :-)

I suppose we all must enduro these playful troll-like appearances from time to time. Funny though. And better my friend than me.

Shall we call you the MacGyver of the desert?

I suppose we all must enduro these playful troll-like appearances from time to time. Funny though. And better my friend than me.

Shall we call you the MacGyver of the desert?

This place has been real boring as of late. Thanks for playing. The Bridgestone 403 (or 603 if you want harder compound) 90/100 is a great wide front tire (as NewMexican pointed out). I don't think you can find anything wider for a 21" rim.

Edited by Justin Hambleton

Where do you think I learned to strap a spare front wheel to my back? He and SurfNRide pre-run with a complete wheelset. Amazing.

Crackin me up.......you should have brought another set of suspension for whoops too.

What I actually do is just tow a spare bike with training wheels behind me so it doesnt fall over. I just keep a paddle on that one with supercross suspension. Hahaha.

What KM, approximately?

Just east of the town with no name sipping a coldie and only caring that it's five o clock somewhere.

My friend, of course, will be operating tire irons.

Edited by Baja Rambler

Just east of the town with no name sipping a coldie and only caring that it's five o clock somewhere.

My friend, of course, will be operating tire irons.

This is the sunRISE about 10-15 miles South of Percebu

2276144740_661dd62d05_b.jpg

Here's looking North, towards Percebu

2276145580_b42048e217_b.jpg

One of the best places on Earth. Enjoy.