2002 cr125 really that slow?

Looking to buy a 2002 cr125... Is it as slow as they say? Any easy fixes?

$400 bike but it needs cases split. Mainly a project/toy bike

who says they are slow?

I think they are pretty quick! I raced a 2001 for several years back when I bought it brand new. Fast enough to hurt me! lol

depends whos riding it :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

stock they have issues as with most 98-07 cr125s

jetting, suspension, airbox restriction

search for 02 cr125 here. You will find a lot of info for upgrades

Thanks j,

I've been searching and it doesn't seem quite the big deal the article makes it out as.

Didn't know if there was a standard cylinder swap or something like that.

As far as suspension goes, what year does the CR get TC showas?

Thanks j,

I've been searching and it doesn't seem quite the big deal the article makes it out as.

Didn't know if there was a standard cylinder swap or something like that.

As far as suspension goes, what year does the CR get TC showas?

2005 I think.

Not a Honda expert, but I don't think the late model 125s ever got the Showa TC forks. I know they had 46mm KYB for the last few years... the '02 will be a good bike and at that price, a fun project. Good luck.

cr250 got TC showas in 1997. The CR125 never got them as they were fitted with the KYB USD units.

06-07 works best. pulls the axle back, length is shorter than previous years and has good valving stock vs the 08-09s. You will need a new caliper bracket as they changed to a shorter unit in 04+

once you open up the motor with simple mods like the squish band, airbox and get the 38pwk installed, you will understand the potential of the bike. back to back, the top end is incredible on the bike now and I have zero porting.

JJ what mods are you doing to the squish.

My 03 cr 125 came stock with .031" squish clearance, 6mm wide band, 10cc CCV, and 13.48:1 UCCR.

Are you making the band smaller in width so the motor will rev more?

Are you keeping the clearance the same?

Are you lowering the UCCR so the bike with rev more?

Thanks for your input.

BTW Honda pull the axel back on the showa TC in 05.

I know 05 is the first year of the axle relocation. Problem is 05 is the last year of the longer forks for the 20" front wheel option and are just to tall to swap on the 2 strokes. the 06-07 shortened the forks 7mm since they dropped the 20" wheel option

I had RB Designs do the squish on my head. sent him the solder squish and mailed it off

http://www.rb-designs.com/

Ok, I have heard they do good work.

As for the forks. Just trying to be helpful. I can tell you know your 125's

If you are using the standard 21" front wheel. All you have to do is raise the forks up in the triples to the machined line just below the top cap.

Do you have to run race gas with the squish mod or is pump gas still ok?

the 2002 cr125 motor lacks big time my friend had 2 one race and one practice bike they are slow compared to the other 125s. Plus they sound like there always gonna blow up.

the 2002 cr125 motor lacks big time my friend had 2 one race and one practice bike they are slow compared to the other 125s. Plus they sound like there always gonna blow up.

stock yes cause they have poor carburetion and corked up intakes. open them up and they will scream. also they came with a 36mm carb, they do way better with the 38 pwk

If you are using the standard 21" front wheel. All you have to do is raise the forks up in the triples to the machined line just below the top cap.

again, problem is the forks are to long to level out the bike to where it was. with a fork swap you are already above that line just to level the bike. thus the shorter 06-07 forks do better