Sign in to follow this  

Hare scramble and enduro bike?

I'm sorry the only internet i have is through my crappy phone so searchig takes forever! Im thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2013 250. Im moving down from my pig wr450 to something manageable. My major concerns are overheating and reliability. Ill be racing vet "c" class enduros and hare scrambles. I use my wr to follow my son in his family enduros and im running engine ice and a higher pressure radiator cap and temp gauge and have no problems. Ill have it revalved and sprung for my weight and put on all the protection goodies. Ill also throw a rekluse in it eventually. Any advice or experience on these bikes in the tight stuff? My buddy runs a crf250r and seems to do fine without overheating. Lastly how is reliabilty as far as engine and trans? Thanks!

I've been using mine(2012) offroad even though I bought it for MX. It actually does awesome, lots of guys on are 250/300 two strokes but I would take this bike over any of them. I raced mine right after getting it in the open A class, and it did really well, it was a mudder too, never spit a ounce of coolant and I was running it hard, on the rev limiter often. I've also been trail riding it, it really dices up tight woods, the bike does nothing good, it does everything great! It will never tire you out and is so much fun to ride. When the other guys are getting tired I'm still in berm blasting mode, wondering how they are tired.

I put a longer shifter on and change my oil every 5 hours tops. I've notice the shifting feeling a bit notchy, i'm going to install the 450 dent spring this week which I've ready will help get a more positive shift action.

I managed to squeak out a 52 mile desert loop on the stock tank! I'm running a 48T for a bit more speed and the lean coupler.

It will feel like a feather compaired to your wr and less prone to overheating but engine ice, evans or similar coolant is still a good idea for slower woods work. I honestly think you'll really enjoy it.

Edited by TommyB 754

the bike will be pretty good in my opinion! I rode some woods and enduro type events on a bone stock machine with zero hiccups. With regards to overheating, well that depends on how fast you are through the trees, promoting airflow through rads and all that but i'd say she should be good as is. If not then try a higher pressure rated cap...but bare in mind these caps "blow" or leak by for a good reason so go one rating at a time and don't go crazy. Engine ice could be a good call. I've never ran it but isn't it supposed to break the surface tension thus allowing the fluid to transient the heat energy more effectively? Not sure on the real world effect this has though.

If overheating was my concern then No.1 would be to opt for an overflow catch tank that will siphon the fluid back into the system as it cools. A boyseen (or sim) water cover and impeller. If you still run hot then an oil cooler...actually it would be a close call as to what i would opt for first, oil cooler or water pump cover/impeller.

p.s. I too added the longer shifter and installed the detent spring before i even started it. Hope the trans holds out. Found an alarming amount of debris in the strainers. Oh and run 15w50 or 20w50

Edited by maximous35

Awesome, thats exactly what i was hoping to hear! Ill post some pics and update you guys if i pull the trigger.

Hmmm is it true there is no aftermarket larger gas tanks??? That may be a deal breaker. How far can i go on the stock tank in a hare scramble or enduro? Can someone else chime in with some real world numbers as well? Thanks again.

Edited by upnorthbacon

True, There is no aftermarket gas tank for that bike. I run a 2012 RMZ250. I raced about 14 rounds(Hare Scrambles) last year and one so far this year. I can go for about 2 hours and 30 minutes on a single tank. I only ever had to refill when I raced a 3-hour Iron man. My bike is pretty much stock. I would assume that if you changed things like pipe and whatnot, that fuel consumption would go up. I also did the longer shifter and detent spring. I also geared it down. In stock form it's geared for MX and that hurt me a few times last year when I raced tight technical tracks... lots of stalling. After I changed gearing, it was a LOT better.

I weigh 165 without gear and run a mid-B-class pace. I love the stock suspension. I see a lot of guys complain about it, but it work well for me.

If I had to do it again, I'm not sure I'd get the same bike. Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE my RMZ. It's an awesome machine that I instantly felt comfortable on. Hands down the fastest/best bike I've owned... However, I have been longing for a 2-stroke and kind of wish I had gone that route. The four stroke kills you on dead engine starts. I did get the hole shot this past weekend, but that was the first one in a LONG time. Any time you line up against a 2-stroke in a dead engine start, you're going to have a hard time because they can almost always start in gear. My bike only starts in gear 75% of the time on the first kick... and when it does not start on the first kick... it takes 10 kicks for some reason, which leaves you way in the back of the pack. Again, it's a GREAT starting bike FOR A 4-STROKE... but it will never CONSISTENTLY beat the 2-strokes on a dead engine start.

Oh yeah, it has never overheated on me either.

If I can get over 2 hours on a tank that will be no problem then. I've considered a YZ250 also, honestly probably a more versatile bike, but I'm getting older and I think the smoother 4t power would be better for me in the long run. I'm a fast C class rider and likely will never be a fast B class, I don't have the balls to push it that fast through the tight stuff and risk missing work :ride: I'm looking for something I can ride around behind my son and also run half a dozen races. I stopped at my dealer and looked one over really good today. I talked with my suspension guy and it will be cheaper to revalve since I'm doing one fork so that's a plus too. Lastly it sounds like with spring changes my rekluse EXP from my WR will drop into the RMZ so that's another big plus. From what I'm reading on these bikes I'm not finding a lot of problems other than some of the tranny issues on the prior years. How come the racing circuit here is dominated by YZF's and CRF's? Is there any other downsides to these bikes in the woods compared to the other 250f's? I realize KTM's are better suited but I'd like to stay with my local dealer, they really take care of me on my trade in's and prices.

I had a YZ, 4 of them, the RMZ is better. Heck a RM is better then a YZ and at your skill you'd really have to tame it down for it to work for you. Really going to sound brand biased here but I wouldn't take any KTM over these current RMZ's, the RMZ's do everything better except fuel capcity.

Racing circuit dominated by YZF's and CRF's? Sense Yamaha went wacky(2010) I rarely see any, hardly any racing MX/SX these days either.

Take a look at KX250F's also, they are good bikes too and they make a bigger tank for them..

As far as racing cicuits I'm talking enduro's and hare scrambles here in Michigan. It's about 75% KTM from what I've seen and then mostly red and blue beyond that. I'm not dissing the suzuki's by saying KTM's are better bikes, I just meant more purpose built, ie 6 speed, valving, electric start, hydro clutch, and enduro computers ect. I agree the YZ is likely more than I want to deal with, especially since I'm 36 and I've only been racing since last year. I found out in a hurry that my 2011 YZ450 was WAY more bike than I needed in the technical stuff so I swapped for a WR450. I'm still overpowered for my riding skill and that's what's making me go down to a 250f. I had a WR250f several years ago and it was a great bike in the tight stuff but I wanted more power in the sand and such. I also wasn't racing back then either mostly fast trail stuff.

Does anyone know what the db level is on the stock exhaust? I'll need a spark arrestor and trying to stay cheap so I was thinking promoto billet and I'm wondering if it will pass sound check, which generally is not super strict. Also my other thought was an FMF Q but not sure if it's worth the cost over the stock exhaust and motobillet endcap?

Edited by upnorthbacon

I've had a lot of KTM's in the past, imo the rmz is better then any of them, rode a 13' 350xcf last week and I couldn't wait to get back on my rmz. You'll have no regrets after you ride it! It will do everything much better then your old wr250.

Doubt it will pass sound tech. I'd have a very hard time buying a PMB end cap when you can get a slip on for $250.

Edited by TommyB 754

I've heard good things about the Motoworks slip ons and they claim 94db. I only see a listing for the 2012 though, will that mount up to the 2013?

Well it's a done deal, going to pick it up on saturday. I have to pull my handguards and radiator cap off my wr to swap over. I have a rekluse exp in my wr that sounds like will swap over with a spring change. I'll have to call rekluse to make sure though. I ordered some devol radiator guards, going to run engine ice and I need a trail tech vector and kickstand (I'll be following my boy and need something to hold my bike up when I restart his when he stalls). I'll also be revalving sometime this summer. I'll post up some pics of my woods weapon and how it runs in the tight stuff!

Well it's a done deal, going to pick it up on saturday. I have to pull my handguards and radiator cap off my wr to swap over. I have a rekluse exp in my wr that sounds like will swap over with a spring change. I'll have to call rekluse to make sure though. I ordered some devol radiator guards, going to run engine ice and I need a trail tech vector and kickstand (I'll be following my boy and need something to hold my bike up when I restart his when he stalls). I'll also be revalving sometime this summer. I'll post up some pics of my woods weapon and how it runs in the tight stuff!

My son races Sportsman B class on his 2013 RMZ 250. He prefers it over his 200XC and my KX 250. Done pretty well. Starts are inconsistent, Takes one or two very swift kicks to start on dead engine starts. He is only 15 and 130lbs, the RMZ just rips with him on it. Doesn't pull hole shots over the 250 2 strokes , but does reasonably well. By the end of the races he seems real fresh.