Sign in to follow this  

Passes and Crashes: another XR race odyssey

Rock on dude! That's awesome. Like a 2 wheel :ride: tractor!

Edited by trooper8

The hill at 28:10 looks like it would be fun going up!! :ride::p

I had to watch this twice. Excellent riding desertwalker. You really reeled in those E-start bikes.

You could make a flat black visor/lens hood to eliminate some of that glare.

You could make a flat black visor/lens hood to eliminate some of that glare.

not sure about the hood b/c the camera is so wide angle... likely be in the frame before casting any shade...

the glare can be pretty bad but only when the lens is dusty and in full sun... honestly i am amazed at the quality of both sound and video it gets its any condition or rapidly changing... even looking into the sun... amazing...

thanks for watching twice!! that means i must be achieving my goal of making some entertaining movies (more so than bragging rights)!! i just hope to inspire some others to get out and push themselves to the max and show what can be done on a minimal budget...

Great desert ride! I could almost feel my arms getting tired and the dust in my nose.

How much pressure were you running in your tires? You have any problems with rim damage? You were smacking some of the rocky sections pretty hard.

Great desert ride! I could almost feel my arms getting tired and the dust in my nose.

How much pressure were you running in your tires? You have any problems with rim damage? You were smacking some of the rocky sections pretty hard.

usually run 14 rear and 16 front... had a flat front tire for last 30 miles and knew i was out of patches and didn't have a spare, so i just kept rallying... started the race with a small crack in front rim, and a welded crack in rear rim... also rear wheel was missing some spokes... no change to rims but tires go quick!!!

Watched the whole thing again. Very tasty mix of music and XR400 engine noise. There were some really brutal sections in that race.

I like your technique of going slo mo with the editing when you look to side or back.

Great video.

I watched it again. It's a great video. Keep up the good work.

The lens distortion drives me nuts, but that's not your fault and don't let me discourage your effort. Hopefully Nikon or Canon will get with the program and make something better. I think the goggle cam is technically a little better, but still not there with the optics.

What are you editing with? Gopro camera?

Most helmet cam is boring but you have definitely achieved more than watchable. The biggest key to making it interesting is that it is a race. That adds drama.

i'm shooting with the contour+2 and editing with POS windows Movie Maker... it shuts down on me a lot (usually surrounding a large file upload) but it also restores your lost project minus the last action or two, and i also save as often as i can remember...

i capture 2-3 hours of footage on a battery... getting more when i turn the camera on and off for various sections rather than just leaving it on from the start and getting everything (well not everything... just everything in the first half of the race!) as soon as i see a dust cloud in front of me, the camera goes on and the chase begins, or if i'm just on some sweet exposed singletrack or about to tackle a hill... the contour is SOOOOOOOO user friendly its not funny... i've NEVER asked someone if it was on and turn it on and off anytime i can get my hand off the throttle for literally half a second...

now i gotta condense 2-3 hours of footage into something people will sit through... the first step is to remove ALL footage of me riding by myself... thats the majority of footage we see and its BORING!!! (unless i wreck!) now i have the edit down to only the scenes where theres another rider in the mix, either passing me or about to eat my dust... now i've usually got 30-50 minutes of usable footage... closer to 30, and i'll just add music and roll with it... over 40 minutes and i'll go through again and cut the footage even tighter to the action, and get it closer to 20 minutes if i can... i keep all the action chronological except a couple of my finishing scenes are actually just 1st or second loop scenes b/c my battery is dead by the end of the race...

gotta try to save the battery for the most technical last 10% of race...

wipe lens whenever you can...

make sure soundtrack is varied and keeps your head bouncin!!

speaking of soundtracks... not sure how long videos will remain on youtube with the sound b/c of copyright infringement, not paying royalties... enjoy while you can!

The lens distortion drives me nuts, but that's not your fault and don't let me discourage your effort. Hopefully Nikon or Canon will get with the program and make something better. I think the goggle cam is technically a little better, but still not there with the optics.

i know... the fish eye can be a bit much... funny thing about this camera... i'm shooting on a HD action setting with 175 degree field of view... i get the best quality image this way... they actually have a higher HD setting that shoots at a much better 125 or 135 degrees, but while hills and drops looks more like i remember them, the higher quality HD at moderate speeds makes all the bushes digitized and just isn't as satisfying to watch... i would love to be able to figure out how to shoot the action HD in 135 degree since i think my camera is aimed perfectly for anything i am lookinig at or direction i'm heading...

Man that was fun! Felt like I was there.

I have never raced a Hare.

What was the total distance?

Great video, thanks. Excellent illustration of what the xr4 foofoo trail bike is capable of in the hands of a good rider. Really enjoy seeing you/it pass those other "modern race" bikes. Especially the KTMs. Who did your suspension, it saved you more than a few times?

What was the total distance?

Really enjoy seeing you/it pass those other "modern race" bikes. Especially the KTMs. Who did your suspension, it saved you more than a few times?

80 mile novice course (two 40 mile loops), pro and ammy's rode an extra 15-20 mile punisher loop which i had to race first two times...

i did my own forks... rear has NEVER been serviced even!!! i know NOTHING about suspension but have a better idea since i took mine apart... you basically do 95% of what race tech or whoever will do when you simply change the fork seals... then they usually just replace the springs with springs for your weight if need and usually put in premanufactured gold valve/center bolt you can purchase... i couldn't cause i'm broke so i just did the comp shim stack mod (an extra 5 minutes of work) and then gambled a bit and added some previously removed shims to the rebound... stock fluid weight and stock fluid height... you pay the suspension guys to somehow know ahead of time where to set all your clickers and know spring rates and whatnot...

80 mile novice course (two 40 mile loops), pro and ammy's rode an extra 15-20 mile punisher loop which i had to race first two times...

i did my own forks... rear has NEVER been serviced even!!! i know NOTHING about suspension but have a better idea since i took mine apart... you basically do 95% of what race tech or whoever will do when you simply change the fork seals... then they usually just replace the springs with springs for your weight if need and usually put in premanufactured gold valve/center bolt you can purchase... i couldn't cause i'm broke so i just did the comp shim stack mod (an extra 5 minutes of work) and then gambled a bit and added some previously removed shims to the rebound... stock fluid weight and stock fluid height... you pay the suspension guys to somehow know ahead of time where to set all your clickers and know spring rates and whatnot...

Thanks. I would recommend having the shock serviced. That old oil can ruin a very expensive shock body.

Friggen awesome! You got some good endurance to hold that pace. Thanks for sharing