Sign in to follow this  

California Dual Sporting SoCal National H&H - Passes and Crashes

Fun vid to watch. That rock wash and little stairstep waterfall at the end was fun! Have fun in the Cs while you can. Everybody gets a lot faster on the A and B lines! Good riding my friend

Fun vid to watch. That rock wash and little stairstep waterfall at the end was fun! Have fun in the Cs while you can. Everybody gets a lot faster on the A and B lines! Good riding my friend

were you out there? in my class? always looking for people to ride with...

mototally is rad b/c i can see how my ride would have placed in any class i want to look for... only done 4 races, but it seems like a podium finish for novice is like 8th-10th in the Ammy... this time my 4th place novice finish had me 7th after 2 laps in Ammy... the number 1 novice ran 3 laps somehow, so maybe he got scored wrong class and i got third, or he just rode the 3rd loop for fun, like i was considering before my flat tire...

Andrew and I were both out there. He's hwt B and I'm vet C. Pretty sure you never passed me. I was behind you the whole time. :lol:

mototally is rad b/c i can see how my ride would have placed in any class i want to look for... only done 4 races, but it seems like a podium finish for novice is like 8th-10th in the Ammy... this time my 4th place novice finish had me 7th after 2 laps in Ammy... the number 1 novice ran 3 laps somehow, so maybe he got scored wrong class and i got third, or he just rode the 3rd loop for fun, like i was considering before my flat tire...

The times are good and they give a great idea but its not the whole story. When I was in the Cs I could get a mediocre start and pick my way through the pack quickly by using creative lines, making passes when guys spoded out and generally just being faster. From what I've seen as an intermediate, everyone is decently fast so it's a whole lot harder to pick your way through a pack because you can't just blow by guys. Plus everyone has a couple years of experuènce do they know where to get creative with lines and they don't Spode out nearly as much. But then again, this is all coming from a guy who has a hàrd time finishing a race anymore lol

They do the start time from the Expert line (on everything but checkers,dirt diggers start by class GP type starts)..unless something was different for this race that im not aware.......so technically you would subtract the B line start time difference from yours. Probably something like 15-20min. I have figured out most of mine and usually I would have only finished one or two spots down or in the same position on the B line.

A lot of B Vets are slower than the top 5 or so C vet guys at every race but its a bitch for us to get transfers I have no clue how some of the B vet line guys got there.

The guy who got first C vet either moved up to B and started on that line but was still marked down as C class or something else was wrong....that dude has been pretty fast but he killed by a lot that race. And of course wasnt supposed to go 3 loops. Something aint right.

Some of those "B Vet" guys that don't appear to be fast may have earned their "B" status long before they were Vets and are now out just having fun racing. Some "C Vet" guys may be plenty fast but have not earned enough points to advance to "B".

It takes a lot of work to stay in shape, keep your bike ready and still finish a longer "A/B" race.

Some of those "B Vet" guys that don't appear to be fast may have earned their "B" status long before they were Vets and are now out just having fun racing. Some "C Vet" guys may be plenty fast but have not earned enough points to advance to "B".

It takes a lot of work to stay in shape, keep your bike ready and still finish a longer "A/B" race.

Very good points. Having worked my way through the ranks over the last few years, I know for a fact that I am slower now than I was in the last few years. Bike is tired, I am out of shape and frankly haven't ridden much at all. I am not kidding with the guys when I tell them on the line that I am running sweep for the Vet A class.

My progression:

Start racing as a beginner in the GPs. Hate that the classes are so small so I bump to C. Start racing desert and sort of figure it out. Pretty soon it becomes all consuming and all I do it hydrate and train and dump money into prepping my bike. Race virtually every weekend to get transfers and have a blast. As a C, I was as fast as I've ever been on a dirtbike. I was also as stupid as I've ever been on a dirtbike.

I got bumped to B, first race I was out front of my class and then wadded up in a big way. I was off the bike for 6 months and came back a lot more cautious and slow. I discovered enduros and really fell in love with them and the controlled racing really fit my style a lot better. I still prepped my bike and body the same way, but raced with far more control. I was generally mid pack in the GPs, in the top few in the desert but winning my class in enduros.

I got bumped to A through enduros, and since then, I have finished "not last" one time. I know and like all the Vet A guys at the races, but I am realistic enough to know that I have nothing for them. My focus is to have as much fun as possible and pass the knowledge to my kid as he is starting to come up through the ranks.

If you were to get out there as a Vet B or C with me, and you are hungry and prepared, your times would almost guaranteed be better than mine.

I love to see you new guys discovering how fun this sport is. As much as you won't believe me, enjoy your time wherever you are currently ranked and get a couple trophies to show off. They are harder and harder to come by as you move up in the ranks. Hell, at this point, I can barely earn a finisher pin!

• Like 2