Sign in to follow this  

09 What else can be expected

I purchased my 09 Honda CRF- 450 in the fall of 08. I have owned many motorcycles in my 43 year riding career and I believe that I have worked on this bike less than the others. I have replaced tires, chains, sprockets, and one clutch. The bike has over 143 hours showing on the hour meter, the last 13 were made by the thief who had the bike for a brief time. In the 143 hours what I have not done is change the plug, check the valves, or replace the piston or rings. Now before you tell how I must be the worst mechanic and should not even own a four stroke I will tell you I am generally on top of all the above items, but this bike just keeps on starting on second to forth kick, runs like it should, and does not smoke any. This bike has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned.

Well, you know the thief didnt change the oil, or clean the air filter, so i think youve got that coming. I was hoping hear that the bars came back bent because the theif fell off and broke his spine, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down. Which is what he deserves iMHO. But you go it back, and in one piece...pretty remarkable.

Assuming youre close to 50 years old, and are going to keep the bike, id put a piston in it. Chasing the valves is a waste of time in my opinion. If it starts and runs fine, changing the plug is a waste of money. If youre just trail riding the thing relatively easily, you may not even need a piston. But if youre flogging it in dunes or racing it consistenly, it could probably use a piston.

Well, you know the thief didnt change the oil, or clean the air filter, so i think youve got that coming. I was hoping hear that the bars came back bent because the theif fell off and broke his spine, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down. Which is what he deserves iMHO. But you go it back, and in one piece...pretty remarkable.

Assuming youre close to 50 years old, and are going to keep the bike, id put a piston in it. Chasing the valves is a waste of time in my opinion. If it starts and runs fine, changing the plug is a waste of money. If youre just trail riding the thing relatively easily, you may not even need a piston. But if youre flogging it in dunes or racing it consistenly, it could probably use a piston.

Well I am closer to 60, man that hurt, than 50. I forget to say that I change the oil and filter every 5 to 7 hours and clean air filter as needed. Yes piston is already on order. I don't think I have ever hit the rev limiter. Taking the bike to the Big Buck GNCC this weekend. Won the race last year but moved up a class this year.

If you have a piston planned to go in already you should be good.. just take a look at the valves while its apart.. but you shouldnt need them if its still starting real easy.

Since its apart already I'd do the cam chain and intake valves. Just as preventative measures.

What do you guys think about bottom end hours? On my 09 I am 2 piston and ring jobs in at 170 hours. Due for another soon but wondering about the bottom end, cam chain? Valves haven't moved.